We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April 2014 Trip Report

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
April 2014 Trip Report

Just back from a month in Roatan! Should have planned two months!!

What a wonderful time we had!

Arrival-well- long line up in incredible heat for us Snow Bunnies! Through immigration and then again while our bags were x-rayed. There may be A/C in parts of the airport but not in the Immigration area.

Our driver was there and we were off to Eldons for groceries-134.00 for basics like wine and beer oh and also eggs bread coffee etc.. and then on to West End.

Lodging-We stayed at Lodge B Cocolobo(see separate review) and what an awesome place! So handy for everything. We are officially spoiled for anywhere else!

Dining/Food

-we ate at

The Argentinian Grill(review) just down the road from us.

Half Moon Bay Resort-best Blackened Fish and Island Style Fried chicken(review) Also ate chicken breast sandwiches which were really good for lunch one time.

Roatan Oasis-(review) twice

Green Flash Restaurant at Land’s End Resort-twice

Thai Place(review) by the way the Stuffed Yucca were at Entre Pisco NOT The Thai Place error in my review I couldnt figure out how to correct after I realized! Excellent Pad Thai.

Entre Pisco y Nazca-(review)You are so right Sir I-awesome food! In fact were you there the last Saturday of April? I saw a couple and was going to speak but then thought-I could hardly say to them-”are you Idiot’s Abroad?” imagine the reaction if they weren’t you!? LOL!

The only meal we didnt love was at- if you can imagine-The Booty Bar! We met some people that said the best burgers in West End were available there. Not true for us! So salty! We couldnt eat them.

In fact with a few exceptions we did find the food saltier than we are used to.

One thing we did feel-the portions were huge without exception! We saw a lot of take away containers! For the most part we found dinners to cost with wine and beer about 25.00 per person. And apart from the burgers found every meal to be superb. Really! However I dont think we actually finished a meal anywhere! Sometimes we thought we should have stuck with just appetizers and we are not dainty eaters as a rule! Mind you it was very hot so that played a big part I am sure.

We had a bad experience with crab at the fish place(luckily we know how to cook crab and what it is supposed to be like in smell etc..!) in West End by the roundabout altho the shrimp were fine. We definitely needed fish for the BBQ so...

I went to the Fish Market in French Harbour-Mariscos Hybur it is called and got King Fish, Snapper,shrimp, grouper,Yellowtail and what they called Sea Bass-which was lovely BTW- and spent about 50.00 for what amounted to about 15 pounds of fish in total. It was all frozen but really good and I thought it a bargain! Well worth the 300 LMP taxi ride!

General thoughts on food..restaurant prices were basically as expected and no surprises to be honest. I thought the grocery prices were high for some things and reasonable/low for others-beer for example was a lot cheaper than we pay in Canada. Cheese was lower as was sugar and coffee. I went to the corner stand at the round about and got all my fruits and veg from a lovely lady there. Very reasonable except for corn. We bought only the Blue Harbour lettuce at Eldon's and Woody's and it was 70LMP a bag and so good! Not just lettuce but a mix of greens. I also thought the chicken breast were very good.

We did some minor shopping at Woody's(found the best cheese ever here!-Queso Picorino- and went back to Eldon's for a big shop and spent 234.00. Again some snack foods and beer and wine in that. If someone wants specific prices I do have my slips.

We mostly BBQ d at the house for dinner and really enjoyed doing that as we are used to that at home as well.

Activities- Snorkeled snorkeled and then snorkeled some more! We walked the 1 minute lane from our house to Half Moon Resort and spent the majority of our time there. We honestly saw every fish on the Roatan fish chart we bought! We even got inked by an octopus!

We hired Native Sons with Captain Arthur for a half day tour up the coast to one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen anywhere! And I have seen a lot of beaches! Snorkeled at Spooky Channel-not my favourite spot to be honest! We also could have snorkeled a wreck but the water was too choppy for me! Great guys and great fun. They actually do fishing tours but we dont fish and only wanted to snorkel and sight see. Went through the mangroves and saw lots of areas you dont see from the road. You must see the island from the water to really appreciate the beauty of it.IMO

Highlight tour was the Free Radical Catamaran Tour(separate review) Awesome- awesome- awesome! What an interesting couple to talk to and what a beautiful part of the Island to see. A must do for anyone whether you snorkel or not.

We were in West End for Santa Samana. What a great time during the day-music dancing lots of people having fun. We stayed home Thursday Friday and Saturday night. Lots of people but honestly not nearly as bad as everyone said it would be!

We spent a fair amount of time at Sundowners and met and spoke to all kinds of interesting people. Expats and tourists alike. What fun there. The Monkey La Las I found too sweet for me but the Zack Attacks-Yum! Buy your bracelets from a little girl named Cindy. And no it isnt really jade but the carving is wonderful from a little guy with a green tray! In the end we agreed “okay it isnt jade but it is from the mountains on Roatan!” LOL!

Departure- A breeze...Pay the departure tax as soon as you arrive at the airport.39.00 USD Then check in. Worth a separate taxi ride if you are staying at a resort to beat the line ups. Great sandwiches in the departure lounge and clean bathrooms. No Duty Free store I noticed.

Best Shopping-I must say I am NOT a shopper but the best store for me was Waves of Art on the main street in West End. Prices marked. That doesnt count my Fruit and veg lady who gave me her family recipe for Red Beans and Rice!

Best taxi driver-number 0342. Not much English but so so dependable! You can get him at the roundabout.

Best (non personal) laugh-watching the stretch El Boske Hummer trying to navigate the Roundabout in West End. It just doesnt fit!

Must dos for next time-Cayo Cochinos. Everyone that did the trip made me wish we had done that as well! Learn to Dive! I think I can I think I can!

Sad moments(apart from having to leave!)I didn’t see a turtle!!! and watching our large verandah lizard get taken away by a vicious blackbird! I had named him and everything!

Wonderful firsts- Saw a Green Flash-at the Green Flash Restaurant of course! All the different fish we saw-including being surrounded-literally- by squid-I had no idea they were so beautiful! The Queen Angel that finally let herself be photographed in full! Did I mention the snorkeling!!

I know I have forgotten things I wanted to say but this is probably longer than anyone wants to read as it is!

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Cocolobo
Cocolobo
627 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
186 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Roatan Oasis
Roatan Oasis
884 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
French Harbour
French Harbour
Roatan, Honduras
Half Moon Resort
Half Moon Resort
164 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Sundowners
Sundowners
1,182 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Moses Lake...
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April 2014 Trip Report

What a wonderful review. Makes me so home sick. I don't want summer to go fast but can't wait for Sept to go back to the rock. Glad you had such a great time, love hearing that.

Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
858 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April 2014 Trip Report

For me a review can never be to long...loved reading it. Thanks for taking the time to write all the reviews that you did, many many people will appreciate it.

Makes me want the time to fly right by to next January when we are back for 5 weeks.

Mary Jane

"Never Sweat the Small Stuff"

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April 2014 Trip Report

Thanks for your time.....sounds like a wonderful vacation.

Texas
Level Contributor
141 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April 2014 Trip Report

Good report, will be there in a few weeks

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April 2014 Trip Report

Have fun Amazon. We are going back in April 2015 and I too am wishing the summer away!

south carolina
Level Contributor
240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April 2014 Trip Report

Really enjoyed your report. And yes,,,,,,,learn to dive. I got my certification 4 years ago at the age of 50. I am not an athlete at all and my husband is. This is something we can do together. Have about 45 dives in 4 years and going back to Roatan in August. It is awesome!

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,264 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April 2014 Trip Report

Aw...shucks! You didn't go to Rotisserie Chicken? Next time. :-) Thanks for the report! Yes, the bag of greens is great! If you can't go to Eldon's, Jackson's (next to the ice cream shop, next to the church) sometimes has the bags. In fact, they have the BEST soup for lunch! Mama makes it in the back. And Papa makes fried port in the morning. They have a take away "set lunch" which is YUMMY! Next time....... :-)

winneconne,wi
Level Contributor
304 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: April 2014 Trip Report

Thanks for the trip report, and glad you had a good time. We will also be there next April.

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: April 2014 Trip Report

Yes Mama- next time for sure..we are going to try totally different restaurants(except-Entre Pisco-too many interesting foods to try! have to go back!)

R. Chicken is on the list for sure! We did try this last time but the line up was really long.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
361 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: April 2014 Trip Report

Loved you report! We are flying back the beginning of November again and it can't come soon enough! My husband and I love to snorkel that is why we chose Roatan last year and have to admit I've fallen in love:) Thanks for your information and reviews!

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras