We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

killing coral for money

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,552 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
killing coral for money

So there I was last week, helping Snorkelman drink his beer in front of Infinity Bay on West Bay beach. And along comes this contraption, called a jet pack or Flyboard, trying to lure customers to try their contraption a few yards off the beach. If you have never seen one, they consist of a pair of water jets attached to your feet, powered by a jet ski, that lifts you off the water and leaves you standing on a column of water. Way cool, for a lake somewhere, but not for an area with coral close to shore. The coral, having survived millennia, now with little chance of making it through the next week, thanks to this dude and his toy. The force of the water exhaust is way more than coral can withstand. He was in the shallows and doubtless had experience controlling the thing. But some new customer would doubtless have less success in controlling it, causing it to fly out over the coral, maybe even leading him to do a face-plant into the reef. Once you are no longer perfectly vertical, you fall not just with the force of gravity but with the added force of the jets. Some fun. As it is jet skis are not allowed in the marine park, though their presence is a tribute to poor enforcement by rangers. Can we all reason together and no one patronize this idiot?

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: killing coral for money

Holy hannah!!

https://www.google.com/search…

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: killing coral for money

Well, I would never patronize something like this. I would think/hope that this contraption owner would be contacted by some organization whose mission is to protect the reef. There must be an interesting waiver the customers would have to sign in order to "ride" this thing. This is popping up on other islands too - I seem to recall something like this in St. Kitts recently.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: killing coral for money

Agreed Dhauk.

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: killing coral for money

I saw this too and was equally outraged. He was trying to drum up business in front of IB while we were there last week as well. Worse he was doing it right on top of a diver's marker. Crazy. Too bad I didn't see you two or my hubby and I would have pulled up a beer or two.

Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
838 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: killing coral for money

" Can we all reason together and no one patronize this idiot?" You got it dhauk...when we were on WBB in April I was discouraging others from also trying it out. Truly didn't want to hurt the guys business but he's not going to have a business once the coral wears away as the # of vacationers are less.

Mary Jane

"Never Sweat the Small Stuff"

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: killing coral for money

…wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142412788732417…

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: killing coral for money

That WSJ link say's need to be subscriber to read article

NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: killing coral for money

They have this thing in Ocean City Maryland - cool there - not cool in Roatan. This needs to be stopped. I agree the coral reef would not stand a chance...this is a terrible thing. I hope he fails

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: killing coral for money

It would seem that all that would be needed would be that the RMP make them operate in deep water, then all should be fine

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: killing coral for money

Odd, I'm not a subscriber but could read article... anyway, some interesting points were brought up, from the fish larvae being sucked up and spewed out, to the noise pollution scaring fish away, to the force damaging reef...etc etc. From the photos on their Facebook page it would appear they start off fairly close to shore....