We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
United Airlines

I'm wondering if anyone knows (since there are so many repeat visitors to Roatan) when United opens up more flights between North American and Roatan for spring 2015 (yes I'm a planner). Right now they have some but not the usual flights I'm used to being posted - mostly milk runs. Thanks for any help!

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines

According to United's website, there are flights on Sunday, Thursday and Saturday for next March and April. It only goes up to the second week of April (330 days from now).

Sunday and Thursday 10:20 am departure from IAH; Sunday has 2 flights 10:20 am and 12:52 pm.

Sorry, don't know what you mean by "milk runs." ??? :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines

Historically it's been an easy connection in Houston to get home - a total of two flights, home in 10 or so hours. Now it's an overnight at the very least in Houston - most flights listed are a total of three flights with an overnight in a variety of cities - no longer the direct connection and home the same day.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines

I may be wrong, I do not live in Canada but it is possible it is not the Roatan flights that have you concerned but the the leg before the Roatan connection.

It may be you need to get the attention of the Canadians to answer your question.

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines

Pennywise:

I live in Chilliwack so only 20 or so minutes to the Sumas border crossing and I always check flights leaving from both Vancouver and Seattle as to price and "civilized" flight times. As a matter of fact , hubby and I just returned last Sunday from our 2nd trip to Roatan and we flew from Seattle via Houston ( it only adds an hour or so travel time to Seatac airport vs flying from YVR for us). For both this trip and our visit to the island in 2012, I was not able to obtain accurate info as to days/flights/prices for our Spring trips until at the very earliest around September of the previous year. I then kept checking prices and each trip I ended up booking around 3 months before we planned on travelling, as that was when I found the best prices and flight times we could live with. We are older travellers so don't mind the overnight in Houston but two stopovers would be unacceptable to us. The flights to Houston from both YVR and Seatac are daily as you probably know, but the flights from Houston to Roatan and return are only on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays at this time of year. The couple of flights that I am currently seeing on the United website for next April are an atrocious price IMO.

Good luck with your planning and hope it works out for you.!

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines

As I live in Tokyo (which is wayyyy on the other side of the planet as far as Roatan goes), it takes 38 hours (16 hours in the air and 2 transfers) to get from Narita to Roatan via Houston. It's 32 hours + 1 day (crossing the dateline) for going back home. There's no way to keep flying without a "sleepover" near an airport -- Houston for going and somewhere on the west coast for the return leg. Actually, it's kind of nice because it breaks up the trip. And I rack up United miles -- not that I can ever use them unless I plan a trip 330 days beforehand! There's a direct flight from Narita to Houston which arrives 2 hours after the plane to Roatan has departed and costs twice as much as flights which require transfers in LA or San Francisco, so I take the less expensive route. The least expensive fare (notice I purposely don't use the word "cheap") routed me through San Francisco for my trip a couple of weeks ago (that I booked last October). In December, the United website wants me to go via LA. It won't let me go for 6 days (probably because 3 days are used for traveling), but I can get schedules if I click on 14 days and "dates are flexible."

It's not a "short" flight, but Avianca/TACA has daily red-eye flights from San Francisco and LA which will get you into Roatan at 10:35 am (transfer in San Salvador to a small plane). If you can catch a late afternoon/evening flight that will get you to one of the west coast airports at 10 or 11 pm, you wouldn't have to spend the night in Houston.

I've found that the flights to Roatan at Houston are pretty well organized, but the flights to San Salvador definitely have some of that Latin American "excitement" to them! Just an observation from one who is used to Far Eastern hospitality. There's no quiet bowing, that's for sure! :-)

Good luck and hope our paths cross in spring!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,951 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines

actually I think that Avianca and San Salvador offer the best and easiest passage to Roatan. I truly don;t understand what you mean about Latin excitement. Houston is a nightmare to connect through...a very loooong hike to immigration, that baggage reclaim business, THEN you have to go BACK through security. It's easier if you are in transit to Canada, I suppose. But Avianca has the quickest connections to the US, they are always on time, always gracious, and their in flight entertainment is the best. 3 movies later you are home. My only quarrel with them is that their food is poor, but it IS airline food, and they DO feed you on the short hop SAL-RTB. SAL is a small and efficient airport with dozens of duty free shops. The entire gate area is in transit, so no need to clear customs unless you are staying in ES. The only problem I have had in SAL was when American Airlines didn't show up for the scheduled flight and we had to spend the night. All the gates at SAL are right together so you don;t have to change terminals. Plus they operate every day along the west coast, sometimes twice daily. Avianca is the airline of choice to RTB as far as I am concerned, and I'd welcome some Latin excitement to make up for the boredom of its efficiency.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines

Yes, the double TSA check at Houston is a zoo. As is the one at SFO and LAX. One would think that if someone is coming from a place where they already passed through a security check, one wouldn't need to repeat that long process for a transit passenger. SFO has a "PreTSA" line, which transit passengers get to go through. No need to take anything out or take everything off. But Houston doesn't, so it means getting in the long line with first flight passengers.

San Salvador is fine if the flights are on time, but if your flight is delayed and you miss your next flight, the experience of spending overnight in the city can be quite "exciting." Then again, I suppose any place would be filled with passion and excitement if you missed your flight and the airlines had to figure out what to do with a half a plane full of passengers who show their raw emotions! lol

Where I live is probably the exception. I'm so used to a culture where people just don't get "excited" in the same way for things you can't really change. Go with the flow........ And they give you slippers to wear if you need to take your shoes off for security check. :-)

Edited: 24 May 2014, 21:16
Arkansas
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines

We booked United several months ago with a connection through Houston. At that time they were showing flights everyday. We have a Friday arrival at 11:47 a.m.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm is an excellent way to see all airlines flying on any given date

Edited: 24 May 2014, 22:39
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines

FYI Nomad...the lovely non-stop flights from Canada to Roatan only leave from Toronto and Montreal so for someone like the OP who lives in Vancouver it makes more sense geographically for them to go Americano and connect through Houston rather to fly to Toronto and then to Roatan. Luckily I live 1/2 hour from the Toronto airport (so spoiled for getting to Roatan).

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines

Ditto, Sparky.

This past trip to Roatan that hubby and I just completed (sob ! ) was our 5th or 6th time going via Houston to the Caribbean. For us living on the West coast it's a no brainer. Yes, it's a huge airport but we find it well organized. I suppose it helps that we have started overnighting there though.Years ago we almost missed our connection with too short a layover time. All that said, I would take connecting through Houston over connecting through Toronto ANYTIME. I previously lived in SW Ontario so always flew out of there back in the day. Now I live in BC and am still of the opinion that Pearson remains the most disorganized and badly laid-out airport for negotiating . We are spoiled with the ease of YVR for sure!

mamajelli:

Pretty sure that Houston now does have the Pre-TSA line, according to friends who have recently done the connection back to the West.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 16:14
Get answers to your questions about Roatan