We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to try this!

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Want to try this!

For those who like to snorkel..check this out..

huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/20/tribord-easybr…

Looks like we will have to wait a bit in North America though!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to try this!

Looks kind of like Friday the 13th head gear ...but if these work well I like the idea of not having all the mask marks all over my face. I always seem to look like I've been hit by a truck for hours after I take my mask off...snorkeling just isn't good for a lady's face....lol.

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to try this!

The TRIBORD Easy Breath? Don't hold your breath, figuratively or literally.

Tribord has a longstanding history of tossing out some pretty preposterous ideas as publicity stunts. After almost a year of internet release, the mask itself is still not available for sale. Even their collateral sales materials have some ludicrous conclusions- that it will be a "no fog" because of this set-up. Why would it be any different than the fog factor in any other mask?

Wearing a full face rig such as this is known in the SCUBA world, but very very few divers ever do it. Even if they get past the expense, there is a huge factor in terms of overcoming the sensation of confinement or claustrophobia induced by the complex straps and inability to remove these configurations with any speed.

Such psychological & emotional barriers are usually easily overcome by more advanced practitioners of snorkeling, but who in that class wouldn't just prefer their standard gear that they know very well? Same effect in SCUBA markets.

An additional consideration would certainly be the very high price involved. Add to this the convex shape of the faceplate, and here you have a viewing surface that would be quite exposed to scratching.

Nope, it aint gonna happen. The TRIBORD group is well known in Europe for selling an array of pool and swim accessories from bathing suits to snorkel masks. If you want a superb snorkel mask, they make one called TRIBORD SEAMAX 500 Mask. It has the same convex lens issues. Although marketed as a "snorkel" mask, I have used it for diving. It gives a phenomenal 180° view, altho a bit distorted. Tough to get in North America.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to try this!

Yes it LOOKS cool, but a lot of things LOOK cool. I agree with Will that there is no obvious reason it would fog less. Besides we have the fogging problem pretty well under control with spit or baby shampoo.

I snorkel a lot in Maui, and the waves would easily overtop that shortie snorkel. Maybe it doesn't flood, but it would be underwater a lot, which is not something you want from a snorkel. The whole idea is to have the tube long enough that it is usually up in the air.

Whenever I'm snorkeling I like to dive under the water a little, maybe just down to 30 feet. Problem is that as the air in the mask is compressed by the depth it tends to try to suck your tongue out of your throat. With a normal snorkel it is easy just to remove the snorkel as you descend. With this thing I don't know how you'd do that. Maybe it's just meant for use of the surface, which would totally disqualify in in my book.

A full face mask in scuba would have the additional drawback of making it hard to clear your ears as you descend. You would need access to your nose.

I don't get the problem they state of separating breathing through nose and mouth. WE've learned from childhood in racing to exhale through your nose and inhale through your mouth, just like you do in snorkeling. I've never sensed anything unnatural about breathing through the mouth.

I do like the idea of the greater peripheral visibility.

Edited: 24 May 2014, 20:45
Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to try this!

I'd think the need for prescription lenses would rule this out for 'blind as a bat' people like me.

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to try this!

Depends on how blind your particular bat is. If you are in the -4.00 range, this is an absolutely amazing product: http://hydrooptix.com/

Occasionally they do show up on eBay as they are no longer currently being produced. I would highly recommend this product. I myself am only -2.00, but it works fabulously for any object further than 4' away.

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to try this!

Well I did wonder how it wouldn't fog up and I now bow to the more experienced snorkelers/divers of the forums

Maybe not so great! I had never heard of the company before so had no idea of any back stories.

Could be part of my whole "miss Roatan" mood!

7. Re: Want to try this!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Roatan