We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing a pet to and from Roatan

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Bringing a pet to and from Roatan

I'm a going to Roatan from NYC in July and want to bring my 15lb dog. I'm planning on flying on American(pet-friendly), and bringing him in the cabin. Documentation for leaving the US with a pet seems pretty clear(forms w/in 10 days of travel, vaccination documentation, possible vet exam in honduras upon arrival, etc), but how do I bring my dog back? We are going for approx 1 wk only. We are not departing or arriving on a Sunday. Anyone with prior experience to this? Did you feel your pet was safe? We are staying in a private home that is pet-friendly. Any help would be great! I would love for this to work

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
94 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing a pet to and from Roatan

One thing you should consider is the nature of the dogs on the island - where are you staying (near West Bay? West End? Other)? We ran into many dogs - most were surprisingly well cared for, even though they just wandered the streets, and most were very friendly. There were a few, though, that were really wary of people and others that were aggressive towards other dogs, so it would be the worst case scenario to have one of these mean dogs come maul your little dog because of territoriality. Just a heads up.

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing a pet to and from Roatan

While I have had little dogs that were just like my children and were treated that way at home, I wouldnt have taken any of them to Roatan for a week. Maybe a longer stay but not for that short of a time.

Dogs have a terrible time flying even in the cabin and oh my goodness the sand fly bites and the worry I would have about all the other dogs running around loose and some with mange. I couldnt imagine your pet would have fun. But then just my own opinion! But I wouldnt feel my dog was safe at all.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing a pet to and from Roatan

you will need to fill out a bunch of paper work and get a vet in roatan to check the dog out and fill in some forms as well. great way to waste a day or two of a seven day trip.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing a pet to and from Roatan

It doesn't really take that long, Contact Santiago Soto, He is a vet on the Island who has now become somewhat of a concierge vet catering to a few, travelers needing forms filled out included in the few.

roatanreview.com/directory/roatan-veterinari…

Ignore the office information in the link as he no longer has an office

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,315 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing a pet to and from Roatan

If you're only going for ONE week, can't you find a pet hotel or a doggie daycare/kennel near your home? Taking a plane ride and adapting to a completely different environment (and weather) can be quite stressful. Your dog won't understand where he/she is going, and might have difficulty adjusting to a different time zone. Why put yourself and your dog through all the stress? And wasting precious time? With only a week, you'll want to just get off the plane and GO enjoy yourself! There are lots of activities that your dog won't be able to accompany you on. What's the point of bringing a pet if he/she's going to cooped up in your hotel room?

As there are no direct flights from New York, you will still need to transfer. Your dog will be in a small kennel for MANY hours. Is it really worth it? Just a thought.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing a pet to and from Roatan

Wow mamajelli ,

You sure don't hold back. I don't know what the traveler is planning so I really don't know if the dog can accompany or not, maybe you do know their plans. I do sometimes wish my dogs were smaller and as easy to travel with, they go swimming with me, hiking with me, hang out on the beach with me and are very seldom in the house

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,315 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing a pet to and from Roatan

Yeah, George. I live far from any destination. Traveling with pets in the CAR for just a couple of hours is stressful enough for me! Mine get VERY NERVOUS and start foaming and drooling and pees and poos in vicious cycles even before we get out of the driveway! LOL They're "well traveled," yet we repeat this routine every time we start packing our bags to go up to our cottage in the mountains. They LOVE it there......but to GET there is a whole different scenario!

Yes, I am very proactive when it comes to our little friends who can't talk. (big grin!) Additionally, I wouldn't want land animals stepping on coral and getting hurt (or vice versa). Surely, it's only a WEEK! Why put pets through unnecessary stress? If it was three months.....then its understandable.

Big slurps and a tail wag to you!

Edited: 31 May 2014, 02:01
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing a pet to and from Roatan

Many dogs are quite used to travelling, much more so than a lot of people, Who is to say it is stressful for individual animals? Is driving long distances in a car stressful? My dogs cant wait to go for a ride. Wonder if the police and rescue dogs I regularly see flying are stressed out? sometimes they are flying to a destination for a day or two. Pretty sure my dogs would tell you to MYOB if they could and you were telling them to go to a kennel, often with as many or more health issues, there is a reason it is called Kennel cough. Of course your entitled to voice your opinion as we all are, then we can simply ignore those that seem irrelevant

Edited: 31 May 2014, 02:28
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,315 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing a pet to and from Roatan

Earlier this month, I was with a family who was bringing 4 cats. They were moving to the island. The cats seemed fine, although there was a lot of paperwork and explaining, and I left before I saw how it all panned out.

A couple of weeks later, a friend was leaving with her cat who needed to see a vet in Washington DC. She lives in Roatan but is thinking about moving back to the states, so the cat, who is old, is leaving first and will stay in the states. The cat also seemed fine, all things considered. My friend was flying first class and the cat was sitting with her.

Dogs probably travel better. I have friends who swear by "doggie day care" for their dogs. They say the dogs make new friends and thrive. I hadn't heard of the "kennel cough." Sad to hear......

Whatever the OP decides. Unlike Hawaii, Roatan is definitely "pet friendly" when it comes to arriving and departing.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 03:11
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
589 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing a pet to and from Roatan

Kennel cough (Bordetella) is common in kennels (hence the name) but there is a vaccine for it and most reputable kennels require all dogs to be vaccinated for it before they come.

But, back to the main topic. Bringing a dog to the island can have its complications as well. Honduras changes its rules and regulations often, and not all airlines permit dogs/cats on board. Some require them to be flown out of Tegus or San Pedro Sula. You will need a permit to bring the dog back into the states with you and there is only ONE full time vet on the island (and he does not keep regular hours, so don't count on him) and another that comes on Wednesdays only. Plus, there are numerous flea and tick born diseases that are rampant on this island, and try as you might, you simply cannot keep the ticks and fleas off them 24/7.

My advice, try to find a trusted friend/neighbor/kennel to keep your dog for you for the week.