We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand flies and Mosquitos during the day?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, Cal.
Level Contributor
136 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Sand flies and Mosquitos during the day?

We will be on island for the. Day from a cruise ship. I used to live in Florida so I am very used to bugs. We would get them mostly at dusk or dawn but could get them any time of day. Just wondering about the situation on roatan. Are they biting all day long? My kids have grown up I. California and have no idea of bugs. Trying to figure out what i need to lack. I guess it is always better safe than sorry so I will bring deet spray.

Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand flies and Mosquitos during the day?

It's during the day too. When we were there, we felt bites on the beach after getting out of the water from snorkeling. One day it was particularly bad on West Bay beach. We used the cactus juice but I don't remember it being super effective.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand flies and Mosquitos during the day?

You've answered your own question correctly!

yes, the bugs are worse at dusk and dawn... and yes, there are sometimes some bugs during the day... and the bugs are likely to not bother you... very few mosquitoes during the day... but then again, if it gets cloudy sometimes the mosquitoes seem to be confused into thinking it is dusk... and the sand flies can be stirred up by digging around in the sand... and some beaches are sprayed and/or raked, but some other portions are not... and then there is the small-but-real possibility of malaria

Simple... don't be paranoid, but do bring your favorite insect repellent and use it so you can concentrate on enjoying Roatan.

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand flies and Mosquitos during the day?

Maybe no mosquitos during the day but you can have sandflies if you are at a beach( or anywhere there is sand!) that hasn't sprayed. I had best luck with Watkins repellent.

Several years ago we stopped on a cruise ship in Roatan and went to Tabyana Beach. Didn't have one sandfly bite so can only assume they spray there.

This past April I was getting bitten if I didn't wear repellent on the main street in West End.

Edited: 21 June 2014, 22:40
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand flies and Mosquitos during the day?

We just spent a week in Roatan, getting home yesterday, and I'm happy to report that I didn't get a single sand flea/fly or mosquito bite using Coconut oil and OFF with Deet all week. On our three previous trips, I came home with upwards of 50 bites every time using only OFF with Deet. People have varying opinions on what time of day the bugs bite and what keeps them away, but this combo worked for me.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand flies and Mosquitos during the day?

I spend enough time reading on a second story deck to tell you the sand flies are not only on the sand. Both the sand flies and the mossies are out at all hours. it maybe they are worse at dawn and dusk but they are most definitely out during the day.

I agree with the above, find a repellent which works with your body chemistry.

One year I rented a house on a bluff in Polly Tilly. There was a constant breeze and not a single bug to be found.. the windows were not screened yet I left them open the entire time I was there, day or night.

The bugs are far worse at the beach. :0)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand flies and Mosquitos during the day?

I was on West Bay & didn't notice sand flies & Mosquitos. I generally get targeted by bugs & could tell u if they are around or not. I make sure I spray bug repellent when the sunsets tho. That's when I feel something but protected.

USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand flies and Mosquitos during the day?

Avon sold hundreds of millions of dollars as Skin So Soft as it was rumored to stop fly bites. When people bothered to test it, it was a Rainmaker. It didn't work. The cactus juice is much the same.

Use deet or picairdin. Companies who make products like Off like making money and having the best product. They'd be selling cans of cactus juice if it actually worked. Deet and Picairdin don't have anything to do with your body chemistry. They just work. Deet is more toxic but lasts longer. you don't find Picairdin on the island. Places like REI sell it. I'd bring extra.

I would also suggest that you take something like Allegra as a systemic anti-histamine. The bites will itch a lot less that way.

The only mosquito bites I got were while eating at the Oasis.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 18:24
I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand flies and Mosquitos during the day?

going2aussie

I know more than one person Deep Woods Off with Deet not it does not work for. I can only attribute this to a difference in body chemistry. I believe people should find something which works for them personally and use that product.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand flies and Mosquitos during the day?

We spent 2 weeks on Roatan in April. The little buggers will bite you anywhere at any time of day. However I stayed pretty much in the water diving or at the pool. my Hubby would venture to the beach around 4PM for a stroll. He came back EVERY DAY with at least a dozen new bites.

I got 4 major bites that are still weeping to this minute. I used Buggspray with Deet.

In April 2011 we tried everything under the sun to repel the buggers. I came home looking like I had the measles. I read an article last night that biting insects like people with type O blood because it is sweeter. IDK if that is true or not....LOL

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand flies and Mosquitos during the day?

In my experience most, Not all, but most instances of people being bitten while using a proven repellent can be attributed to improper application or reapplication after swimming, sweating it off etc..With the dozens of folks I have personally shown around the island and spent time with, none had more than a few bites here and there, most would look with somewhat of a surprise or oops sort of way when they were walking down the drive already and I stopped to lock doors and then apply spray, after snorkeling none thought to bring the sray for reapplication the first time or so, etc .Also many places have what appear to be good solid screens but unless they are the fine mesh made for no see-ums and such they can and do get through, one night of exposure could be terrible but not noticed right away

.Of course there are a few people that deet or picariden will not work for but I believe this number is smaller than many are led to believe

Edited: 26 June 2014, 15:29