We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you rent a boat for the day?

Virginia
Level Contributor
183 posts
258 reviews
Save Topic
Can you rent a boat for the day?

I haven't seen this question posted recently (last time was a few years ago) but is it possible to rent a boat for the day? Or do you hire a captain and go on his boat? We are staying in West Bay and would like to explore the waters and are use to renting a boat to fish and snorkel. There are 9 of us in our group.

If we can't rent, who would you recommend? and what is the going rate for a half or full day?

Also, what are the best spots to go to?

Leaving in less than a week!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you rent a boat for the day?

You will need to hire a captain / boat package, I have not hired a captain in years so no recommendations other than to proceed with care, many "captains' have no formal training in such and few if any vessels would meet Coast guard requirements. Many are quite capable but just remember every taxi guy, and there are lots , and I mean EVERY, has a friend, brother or cousin who is a great captain and can provide ANYTHING you need

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you rent a boat for the day?

With nine of you I would suggest Ray and Bay Island Adventures. His family has lived on the island for more than 200 years, he lived in Florida for a spell so his is a bit more Americanized than some of the random boat guys about.

My guess is he could set you up with something which would work for your group.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g292019-d396…

http://bayislandsadventures.com/#

Ahh the web site shows he has branched out in to other fun things.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you rent a boat for the day?

Check with Roatan Divers. Their boat captain's father has his own water taxi. Jesus (hay-zus) does full day "rentals" and will be able to accompany you for the day. VERY reliable, trustworthy and a nice, NICE person!

info@roatandiver.com

www.roatandiver.com

Virginia
Level Contributor
183 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you rent a boat for the day?

Thanks for everyone's input. I will look into the companies that were suggested. I guess when we are on the island, we can also ask for recommendations.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you rent a boat for the day?

The reason that you're not going to be able to rent a boat yourself is the same reason that Roatan has great snorkeling and diving. There are coral reefs all along the shore, and with the tides, currents, and reefs, it's tricky to navigate a boat without local knowledge and experience. People are not willing to risk their boats to bareboaters in these islands for that reason. We have bareboated in the Bahamas and the BVI, where it is easier for boaters with no local experience to sail or motor safely. Good idea to follow suggestions above!

6. Re: Can you rent a boat for the day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Roatan