We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Fly Victims: I Found A Miracle Cure!

seattle
Level Contributor
121 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Sand Fly Victims: I Found A Miracle Cure!

I've been in Roatan for over a week now, and my immense pleasure in being here has been greatly reduced by my incessant itch resulting from sand fly bites. Perhaps you saw me walking down a West End street, perpetually scratching away, studded by a constellation of innumerable bites It had gotten so bad, I could not sleep at night, since my bites were tormenting me ceaselessly. I tried the local remedy, alcohol, Vick's, lemon juice---to no avail.

Fortunately, a friend recommended a miracle cure---aloe vera gel! It worked, it truly worked, almost instantaneously. Perhaps others have different effective remedies, but I wanted to share my miracle treatment since I would not wish anyone to suffer as I did the past several days. Now, the itch is gone and the blistery, ugly sores are getting fainter and smaller. Aloe vera smells nice, too! And it was available at Eldon's. I still have a few days left in Roatan... so I am very grateful for the aloe vera cure since now my fun times will be even better since my hands will be freed from perpetual scratching! Begone, accursed sand flies!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Fly Victims: I Found A Miracle Cure!

Glad you found something that works for you. For me it was clear calamine lotion.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Fly Victims: I Found A Miracle Cure!

So, you use the gel in place of insect repellent? I have aloe gel for sunburn, is this the same thing?

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
710 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Fly Victims: I Found A Miracle Cure!

Better living through chemistry: …nih.gov/medlineplus/…a601054.html

Instant itch relief, no maybes. Very cheap. Same active ingredient as Na$onex (which you could dab on with a q-tip), but that would be 90x more expensive.

I like drugs ...._(:)@

seattle
Level Contributor
121 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Fly Victims: I Found A Miracle Cure!

LadyGBO....I use the aloe vera as an anti-itch ointment (post-bite!). Yes, it's the same aloe gel used to help ease sunburn.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand Fly Victims: I Found A Miracle Cure!

LadyGBD,

The original post was saying Aloe helped relieve the itch, it was Not a repellent. Best thing for the itch is to prevent bites at all with a good repellent, If you do get bit then the Aloe may help

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
199 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand Fly Victims: I Found A Miracle Cure!

We took coconut in February and plan to take again in August, it cut down on 98% of the bites.

I'm trying to do carry on only this time so hoping I can get coconut oil at a reasonable price at the grocery store on way from airport.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand Fly Victims: I Found A Miracle Cure!

Thanks for your post and inputs. Very helpful as I start to collect things for my September visit.

Richfield, Minnesota
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand Fly Victims: I Found A Miracle Cure!

Aloe is also very good for sunburn, so I always bring some with me. It's nice to know it works for sand flies.

Thanks for the info.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 04:32
Richfield, Minnesota
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand Fly Victims: I Found A Miracle Cure!

How did you take coconut? Did you drink coconut milk or rub on coconut oil?

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand Fly Victims: I Found A Miracle Cure!

For someone that has dealt very closely with both Melanoma as well as Malaria it is a bit scary reading about all these things to do After the fact when prevention is by far the best way to deal with them. While sand flies are not famous for carrying disease they can and we all know the Mosquitoes do so isn't it best to use time tested products proven time and time again (( When used as directed )) to repel the biting buggers, And lets use sunscreen and coverups to prevent sunburn rather than soothing it with Aloe.

Get answers to your questions about Roatan