We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So glad to read this!

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
So glad to read this!

bayislandsvoice.com/coral-confiscated-at-roa…

I so hope the Marine Park is able to get the brochure to arriving tourists!

IMO every little bit helps!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So glad to read this!

Well I always take an empty shell that has washed up on the shore (or a pretty rock) from where ever I go for a keepsake ..many people do collect a shell or two from the shore from tropical destinations. I don't see the harm in that. This stuff that was collected from this guy's bag just looks like stuff that has washed ashore. I am more concerned about people standing on the coral, breaking the coral and feeding the fish on the reef ... I would be "so glad to read" that some of those people got arrested! Last time I was there I told a fellow that I saw standing on the coral that he is harming the reef...he was responsively polite and said "Oh thanks" but then a minute later I saw him standing on it again.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: So glad to read this!

There was a woman in line at the security x-ray that had her shell confiscated. She said she bought it at souvenir shop. I don't think she understood that it doesn't matter where you find it or purchase it, the product needs to stay there. That's the "new norm." Just take pictures of the seashell as a memento. Don't take the shell home. It everyone took a shell, there would be no shells left on the beach for others to enjoy!

roatanmarinepark.com/laws/…

Sparkykittycat. Times have changed. Next time, please leave the shell where you found it. And if you find someone sitting or standing on the reef, please keep reminding that person that a coral is a living organism. Standing on it harms it. Thanks.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So glad to read this!

Its kind of like the ten items or less aisle at the grocery store, the employees know people don't follow the rules but don't say anything for fear of upsetting someone. As for those washed up shells? those that find their way back into the water become home and hide places for small fish, octopi and more, many that make it to land become home for the hermit crabs so many are entertained by, They, hermit crabs, do not make shells, they need to find one. Imagine if every single of the millions of visitors a year only took a few washed up useless shells. No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

https:/…5407834168_a539fd48cc.jpg

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So glad to read this!

I take stones home with me. One or two from everywhere I have gone.

I too have told people over and over NOT to stand on the coral and maybe one or two of them will eventually get the message!

I am pleased with this "start" from the Marine Park and wish the project success!

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So glad to read this!

Just realized I am missing what I wanted to say!

I also many years ago took a stone from Stonehenge! It is people like me that caused the ropes now up and quite a distance from the "ring".

I am glad to say I have finally seen the "big picture" in my more mature years! The raindrop analogy is very apropos!

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
648 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: So glad to read this!

These shells were confiscated by "TSA" for purposes of security. Read the article with care and read between the lines (note the reference to checked bags vs carry-on). The US Government has long ago listed marine shells as potential "impact weapons" due to their weight and hand-grip form... that , and the pointed or sharp edges. This is a widespread rule.

Occasionally, after Honduran TSA gets enough of your BIC lighters, DEET spray, and alkaline batteries, they actually do their tasks that have no gain in it for them.

But the overall effect is good. Shell collecting is a relic of an uninformed age. It makes no difference if that Black Coral was "by-catch" plucked from the nets of a Shrimp trawler... another great reason to not eat Shrimp... but most still do.

Shell collectors always have a justification for their plundering. Just as do the vendors.

You can still see and buy desiccated Sea Horses, dried to a shrivel. You can buy all the Black Coral jewelry quite legally as junk from the nets, you can even buy hair clips made from Turtle shells. All on Roatan~ and everybody knows who is selling it. Except the Roatan Marine Park, they don't know.

Why risk carrying it out? Check eBay under "Roatan" and see what goofiness pops up.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 11:38
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So glad to read this!

while I was staying there in May, Fantasy island Resort, arguably a divers' resort on the south side, allowed a black coral vendor to set up a table in their lobby. He seemed to do a good business with the divers, who should know better, you'd think. I discussed the matter with several women whom I had dived with and they seemed to understand the situation, which didn't stop them from buying. "It's for my daughter. She loves coral". Aaaaaargh. Check The Wiki about the carbonate cycle.

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So glad to read this!

I don't understand how the buyers are getting the black coral home! In Canada customs takes almost everything! Even small wood carvings are confiscated if the wood is suspect. I know of people who bought souvenirs that had a small red seed from Cuba that was not allowed into Canada and that was taken.

But I guess you can lie and take a chance!

And shame on those divers!

Edited: 16 July 2014, 22:40
9. Re: So glad to read this!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 05:17