We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM Use--Has the issue been fixed?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ATM Use--Has the issue been fixed?

Anyone have updates on the ATM skimming issues in West End that people were having a few months back? Heading down on Friday, and while I'm planning on bringing mostly cash, I'm trying to gauge if I can count on an ATM for replenishing in a pinch.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM Use--Has the issue been fixed?

In a third world county, I would not count on anything other than complete and total inconsistency. :0)

Enjoy the island!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM Use--Has the issue been fixed?

at West End the ATM's are inside air conditioned glass booths, which makes it possible for a knave to set up a skimmer without being detected. They are also a nice place to hang out on a humid day, since there is little A/C in town, if you really have nothing better to do than hang out in a little booth. So there are no guarantees about the safety of these machines. However the machines at the airport are guarded by Uzi Security, generally more than one armed person. the ATM at the gas station outside West End town also has armed guards at the bank next door, though the ATM machine is inside the store. The machine is out in the open and would be harder to skim. It's still good practice to change your PIN when you get back, just as you would do after any trip out of the country.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM Use--Has the issue been fixed?

Sounds about right. I had heard they had added a guard at the West End one, which theoretically would make it more palatable of an option. sounds like best plan is to avoid it if possible, and change my PIN later if I end up needing to use it. Thanks for the input....

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM Use--Has the issue been fixed?

The threat is NOT from "electronic skimmers" that bad guys have installed at the ATM. The problem is more systemic, it goes to the other data collection points downstream.

Commonly Accepted Wisdom: Create a separate account with it's own debit card and deposit a limited amount of funds there. Limit your potential losses.

Or, carry cash.

So~ No, the ATM issue continues.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 20:08
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM Use--Has the issue been fixed?

The ATM at West Bay Mall is frequently used by tourists and there is a 24-7 security guard at the mall...it's just a water taxi away from West End...and you might want to explore the beach in West Bay anyway. I feel this ATM is very secure there.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM Use--Has the issue been fixed?

Attention fellow travelers!!

We were in Roatan in April and were warned by many people about ATM use. Additionally we were told not to use credit cards due to fraud activity. We spoke to several expats who experienced problems with both ATM machines and credit cards repeatedly.

I wish I would have listened when it came time to pay the departure tax at the airport. By the end of my Roatan trip cash was low. Stupidly I thought being at the airport and paying the government using my card would be safe. The next month on my bill I saw that I was double charged the tax. This is July and the dispute is still being fought by B of A where the card is issued from.

Learn from my error--bring enough cash if you visit.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM Use--Has the issue been fixed?

Just an update...while I did bring enough USD my brother ran low and used an ATM. And sure enough two weeks later he was contacted by his bank due to fraudulent activity originating in Honduras. He used two ATM's....the glass-enclosed one in West End (which he said at the time seemed suspicious, as it kicked him out after entering his password and choosing the language but before getting any money) and the West Bay Mall one. (Which worked fine) So no real way of knowing which was to blame. Naturally, he forgot to change his PIN when he got home.

So...the moral of the story is the advice above is still accurate.....plan on bringing as much US cash as you'll need and if you have to use the ATM in a pinch reset your PIN when you get back home.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM Use--Has the issue been fixed?

It is common for ATMs in many foreign countries to have your card spit back out after you have entered your code. You still get to make your selections and withdraw money. Nothing suspicious about it. I feel better about getting my card back out of the ATM as quickly as possible, so I know that at least I won't have to worry about the card getting eaten. But I still get to worry about fraud. I have yet to have a problem with ATM card or CC use in Honduras, unlike other latin countries I could name. I'm talking about you, Mexico. To answer your question, the problem will never be totally fixed, but steps have been taken to improve matters a little.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM Use--Has the issue been fixed?

All kinds of new reports of ATM and CC problems.

Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM Use--Has the issue been fixed?

Last week there was NOT a guard at the West Bay mall ATM.