We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
arkansas
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Around

We just returned from Roatan a couple of weeks ago and stayed at Infinity Bay. While we were there we wanted to do a few day trips and asked around at the hotel and beach area for transportation prices to various places. We thought the prices were a bit high, so that afternoon when we went to buy supplies we talked to one of the taxi drivers on the road and asked him the same questions. His prices were at least half of what I had been quoted by people in the hotel area. We decided to take a chance on Ernesto and we were glad we did. He always picked us up on time at the hotel was there waiting on us when we were ready to go back. He even made the reservations for us when we needed them. The car was air conditioned and he drove safely. We were very pleased and I kept his card for our next return. His name was Ernesto Zelaya and his number is 504-9665-6206. If you are looking to save a little getting around, I would recommend Ernesto.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Around

Ernesto is probably just charging you the established point-to-point prices, the same that any other honest law-abiding driver would charge. If you asked, he would show you the latest printed price schedule. I guess a lot of drivers hope that tourists don't know about these prices. Truthfully they are way too low to allow a driver to raise a family. However, once the driver goes onto private property, like into most resorts, the price is established by the resort, and is usually way way more than you would pay if you made the call yourself or simply hailed a cab on the road. A resort keeps track of who they call, and they charge him maybe half (just guessing here) of what they agree you should be charged. For example, I wanted to get from Fantasy island to West End, and I knew I could haul my luggage out to the road and save some lemps. The front desk quoted me US$30, which I reasoned was high but worth it. But Fantasy island is (duh) an island with a little gate at the bridge, and in order to be allowed to drive back over the bridge and leave with me, the driver had to show the guard a pass from the front desk showing that he had already paid the resort their share of my fare. I assume that even if I had made the call for the taxi, he would not have been allowed to pick me up without paying the resort its share.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Around

We had the good fortune of finding Ernesto too. We will use him for all of our transportation for our future trips to Roatan. His car is usually found across the road from West Bay Mall closer to the West Bay Lodge end of the mall so he can easily be found if you forget to take his number with you. His nephew also works in conjunction with him so they have multiple vehicles available. He does airport service and island tours as well. As the OP said he is a safe driver, speaks good English and he was very prompt and reliable. We felt very safe with him. His cars ARE very clean as the OP stated. He is always polishing them. Highly recommend his service and we will be calling him to pick us up at the airport when we go next Winter!!!

3. Re: Getting Around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:16