We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anthony's Snorkel Package and a few other Q's

Chicopee...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Anthony's Snorkel Package and a few other Q's

Hi all,

We're thinking of going to Roatan for a late fall trip, our default choice of lodging at this point is Anthony's,mainly because a friend (an enthusiastic diver) loves it. We're certified (open water) but newbie divers, our plan would be to dive on a couple of days but otherwise snorkel, our main activity in the Caribbean and Central America. If anyone is interested I have quite a few underwater videos posted on Vimeo, nothing truly extrordinary but some nice stuff https://vimeo.com/user445162

I noticed Anthony's has a deal going on for their weeklong snorkel package (two boat trips a day plus night dive), has anyone done this? Our experience with guided trips has ranged from superb (Slickrock on Glovers Reef, Belize; Big Blue on Provo- lots of time at great spots, free diving to around 40", etc.) to glorified booze cruises, the last of which we were required to wear water skiing belts at all times. Most people seem very happy with the Anthony's dive experience, do their snorkel trips live up to that or are afterthoughts for the non divers at the resort? For that matter any opinions on the experience at Anthony's for non hardcore divers.

I have read most of the threads on Anthony's in addition to popular alternatives- Barefoot, Infinity, Bananarama etc.; I'd be interested in more recent opinions and suggestions.

Since I'm asking questions anyway, here are a few more.

We tend to go to the Caribbean in the rainy season (schedules and cheapness) but most often even heavy rain passes through quite quickly unless you get very unlucky with a weather pattern, is this the case with Roatan? I won't blame anyone if we do get a nasty low that socks in the whole area?

Are the sand fleas a 24 hour thing, other islands they seem to mainly come out at dusk and dawn?

Any other thoughts on must do activities or things you feel are overrated?

Many thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you,

Don Williams

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anthony's Snorkel Package and a few other Q's

Welcome to the Roatan Threads.

The Top Questions of Roatan are posted in the right hand corner-ish of this page, one is labeled bugs and another weather. Perceptions and experience vary widely, there is no one end all be all answer. :0)

As far as Anthony's Key. I am not a fan of all inclusive..ya gotta eat their food when they make it. I know nothing about the snorkel program... I know all kinds of snorkeling can be done on the West End of the island without having to pay for a package. Additionally, I understand the dive operation at AKR is top notch but so is Infinity, Coconut Tree and a slew of others. If it matters there is no beach at AKR.

We would be happy to offer you other suggestions if ya have a min to tell us what you wish in accommodation past the dive program.

How long are you going to be on the island?

Chicopee...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anthony's Snorkel Package and a few other Q's

Thanks for the tip on the FAQ, somehow I had missed seeing it. I had searched most of those topics myself although I ended up with something of a case of information overload.

At 14" of rain in November it sounds like the rainy season is really rainy, more like mainland Central America than the more arid Caribbean islands?

We would be staying a week to 10 days. Most often on the islands we've reserved a car and a cottage or villa and drive to the different beach and underwater sites, since it would be our first time on the island we were thinking a resort. We'd prefer small and quiet, one of the reasons we tend to travel in the off season is the reduction of crowds and we won't be doing the party scene. While we've done our share of camping in extremely hot conditions we would prefer AC for at least the bedroom, we sleep better then especially if the wind dies.

We don't spend a lot of time just lying on the beach, and while we do our share of hiking it is most often to reach an otherwise inaccessible snorkel spot so there is cooling water at the end. I'm sure we will be doing a lot of snorkeling off the shore, the boat trips were for variety and to reach otherwise inaccessible spots. We've also enjoyed sea kayak trips that sometimes include snorkeling, we're both whitewater boaters in New England.

Many thanks for your info,

Don

South Dakota
Level Contributor
356 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anthony's Snorkel Package and a few other Q's

Hey Don,

My hubby and I took our first trip last fall in November to Roatan. After much research and emails to many places regarding where to stay we decided on renting a home in West Bay Village (Casa Martin). LOVED it! Can't say enough good about it. We are currently book for our second trip this fall again, November. We were a bit nervous about the rainy season but this is the time we can take our long vacations so had to make it work. We were blessed, weather was perfect with the exception of maybe a day and a half of rain. We both love to snorkel so this area was perfect for us. We snorkeled everyday right in front of the house and saw so many beautiful creatures. One night while watching the sunset we were lucky enough to see a pod of dolphins just past the reef! Hubby brought his binoculars so it was very cool:) We took a day trip to Cayos Cachinos and it was amazing. Bugs weren't horrific and loved almost every meal we ate. I posted a trip report if you are interested in reading just search my posts. And if you have any questions that I may be able to answer, I'd be happy to try:) I can hardly wait to get back on the plane and enjoy another 8 days in our newly found paradise.

Chicopee...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anthony's Snorkel Package and a few other Q's

Thanks for your reply, I also enjoyed reading your trip report from last year. You have complicated :-) our decision making process a little bit, after studying the monthly rainfall amounts I had almost decided to skip Roatan until we could come in a drier month, now it's back as a choice. I was also glad to hear your take on the bugs, we've camped in some very buggy spots (Everglades, northern Maine, Quebec) but in those cases we dressed much more for the bugs than would be first choice for the beach.

Who did you use for your trip to Cayos, and do they also go to different locations on Roatan?

Once again, many thanks and I hope your next trip is even more wonderful than the first.

Don

South Dakota
Level Contributor
356 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anthony's Snorkel Package and a few other Q's

Hey Don,

I was like you on the rainfall concerns but like my husband said lets just try it, you never know. Besides it's the best month for him to be away from work for that amount of time (he works for power company, has to keep the lights on;). I like to believe we were blessed;).

We used Ronny from Barefeet for our Cayos trip. It was us and another couple. It was one of the funnest and most humbling experiences of my life. Our day was beautiful weather and we took the trip on one of the busy cruise ship days so it was nice to be away from the cruise crowd, not that they were ever very big though. Ronny does do other snorkeling and fishing trips and we were going to do a snorkel trip but the boat broke down on the way to our destination:(. Bummer but oh well a must for our next trip.

Thank you for the well wishes on our next trip;). I can only hope that it will be as awesome as the first;). Roatan is definitely a beautiful place to visit away from ones hectic life;)

Tiffany

6. Re: Anthony's Snorkel Package and a few other Q's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 06:18