We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday ferry

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday ferry

Does anyone have successful experience with connecting straight from a Saturday arrival in RTB to the Utila Dream in Coxen Hole? With some airport arrivals just after noon and a 2pm ferry departure, it sounds possible but risky.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday ferry

Yikes, between passport control and waiting for luggage...

I would love to hear a successful story or two.

One day the stars were aligned just so for me, carry on only, I was outside looking for my ride in 30mins.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday ferry

If I was coming in at 12 I would give it a try. My arriving flight at 1 means no way José. Even though the Utila Dream people have "assured" me I would have no problem catching the 2 o'clock ferry. 😂 😂

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday ferry

Hahahaha. Flight arrived Roatan 5:30. No ferry no puddle jumper. We scrambled for a place.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday ferry

so you waited for the Sunday ferry and now all is well? And warm? hope you didn't have to stay in Coxen Hole.

Dallas, TX USA
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saturday ferry

When we arrived on Roatan on a previous trip on a busy Saturday, the volunteer at the arrival area asked if anyone was going to the ferry. No one was, but I assume she asked in order to expedite. If I were concerned about missing a connection I'd mention it to the arrival volunteer and maybe you could get to the front at immigration. Still might have to wait on luggage, but....

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Kansas City, Kansas
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Saturday ferry

I'm heading to Utila in May and planned on landing and hitting a hotel, enjoying Roatan, then catching the ferry the next day. Leaving the same way - getting to Roatan on the ferry, then catching the flight the next day. I've got the luxury of time, so avoided the extra stress and will just get to know Roatan a little better too.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
SW Wisc.
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saturday ferry

that is exactly what we are doing Elitewood, staying @ foster's west bay the first night in, and then Half moon resort the night before we fly out......figured we could see a bit of Roatan and Utila .......fist trip here and very excited ....

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saturday ferry

The Utila Dream is a nice ride. Caught it the next day. It was only partially full. We paid the $5.00 more to ride up front by the captain and then spent most of the time outside. We are foolish-- sometimes. We will return to Roatan by ferry, but not to catch a plane. We did not stay in Coxen Hole. Connections on the Island, thank goodness. Roatan was brimming over for the holidays. As is Utila. The reef in my front yard is nice, very nice.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Kansas City, Kansas
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Saturday ferry

Harleydude777 - Its my first trip there as well. I'm looking at property while there and just getting a "feel" for the island. Ive heard about Utila for a long time, and the time might be right to just get there and stay there. Good luck on your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saturday ferry

To answer my own question it has become easier if not actually guaranteed to catch the Utila ferry after a Saturday noonish plane arrival into Roatan. The ferry leaves Utila at 10:15 on Saturday to give Utila outbound passengers a shot at making a flight. And the Saturday ferry back to Utila is at 2pm instead of 1pm on Friday and Sunday. Plus the ferry dock is less than a mile from the airport terminal. Still it would be best to speak up in the immigration hall and let the volunteer ladies expedite you through.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras