We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning for January trip

SOUTH DAKOTA
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Planning for January trip

Wife and I are planning a trip to Roatan mid Jan for 15 days. Thinking maybe taking in Utila for part of the time. Question, is there a flight from Roatan to Utila or do you have to use Ferries? We are snorkelers and really like less touristy places Utila sounds like a fit. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
19 replies to this topic
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning for January trip

there are charter flights between the islands, around $190 roundtrip (10 mins), World wide travel on Utila can arrange your flight.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
SOUTH DAKOTA
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning for January trip

Thanks I'll check it out, How much of our time would you suggest for Utila ? wondering about the cruise ship crowds in Roatan. How's the snorkeling around Utila compared to Roatan?

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning for January trip

snorkeling is great along the south shore of utila and on the edge of town of course utila is a lot less developed than roatan, with no cruise ships or large scale development.

there are really two utila's:

the town_ busy, noisy, lots of bars and restaurants but only two small beaches, this is where 95% of the tourists are. young crowd of mostly backpackers, party atmosphere, not terribly pretty.

the south shore_ peaceful, quiet, very few options for eating/drinking, miles of empty beaches, very beautiful caribbean scenery

i wouldn't jump from island to island unless you can spend a week at each one

check out these places on the south shore:-

www.facebook.com/utilabeach

www.facebook.com/UtilaRental

www.facebook.com/groupsSandyCay

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning for January trip

If you can manage it and love snorkeling I gotta say that south shore and Treasure Beach is beyond comparison. Be prepared for excessive relaxation and impressive snorkeling out your front door. Your fridge is your bar, no line ups. To really chill and enjoy some great times in the water and relaxing on a deck with a great view of the sea nothing beats. Check out the pineapple house and coral house if they are available. Of course if you are into the party scene this wont do.

SOUTH DAKOTA
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning for January trip

Thanks. sounds like our kind of place to visit. We're Not into the party scene, like to have a nice quiet supper and a beer or some wine, that's about as wild as it gets for us. Is there a car rental on Utila ? Thinking about spending a week there and a week at Roatan.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning for January trip

no car rentals, because the only roads on the island are in town, the furthest you can drive is about 2 miles.

the other 80% of the island has no roads and is served by boat

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning for January trip

Total relaxation. No need to drive. You can hire a boat to take you to the restaurant on Pigeon Cay( I think that is what it is called) or walk a bit to the dive resort and get 4 wheeler back to your house. You would have the caretaker stock your house with necessities. Not for everyone. All is at your own pace. I believe that they even provide a phone for use. Need to plan ahead for a fully stocked fridge though. Again it is not for everyone. Worth it for the snorkeling in my opinion. When we were there we arranged for a couple of snorkel tours with the local dive op and they were wonderful. I loved it. I think my BP went down 20 points.

SOUTH DAKOTA
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning for January trip

Sounding more and more like our kind of place. Is there any inexpensive way to get there from Roatan? Do we need to make prior arrangements for everything or if we just make our way there will we be able to find a place?

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,708 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning for January trip

You can very conveniently take a direct fast ferry from Roatan Coxen Hole to Utila on Fri Sat Sun for about $28? It's is even possible to go from Saturday arrivals at airport to the ferry. Other days you can take indirect ferry through laCeiba on the mainland. The direct ferry is new and usually smooth and takes under an hour. Problem is getting to the ferry dock in Coxen Hole from the west part of the island.

Very easy to find a dump in Utila town. But to get into one of the nice places southwest of town I would definitely plan. This is not one of those places where you should take chances.

Edited: 12 May 2017, 07:05
Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning for January trip

As the above poster says if you plan on renting somewhere special at treasure beach, big rock etc etc you will need to make reservations ahead of time. If you're looking for a backpacker type place in town you don't need a reservation

Reply to: Planning for January trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted