We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Roatan

kalamazoo
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Roatan

What is your reason for not using the ferry if you wanted to get to Roatan? If the timing is good for your incoming/outgoing flights? Is it unreliable? So many rental homes I have contacted stress flying.... thank you -

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
12 replies to this topic
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Roatan

I'm confused. What ferry? From where? I assume that rental homes stress flying because it is a long swim.

kalamazoo
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Roatan

Oh coffee cup Dave, you were so funny ! I guess I didn't use as many words as I should have! What reasons would a person give for not utilizing the ferry transportation available from Utila to Roatan? And also a return trip from Roatan to Utila by the same ferry?

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Roatan

as I said in my other answer, the fast direct ferry only operates on Fri Sat and Sun. The boats leave Utila midmorning in plenty of time to connect to flights out of Roatan. In the other direction, the only day you can connect from the flight to the ferry is Saturday, when they delay the departure until 2. And then only if you are lucky. So if you are arriving any other day or if you want to skip staying in Roatan and don't want to do the ferry through la Ceiba, you have to fly.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Atlantida Department, Honduras
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Roatan

I have to revise my answer #3 because the Utila direct ferry schedule has been changed. They now operate (at least according to their web site) Friday-Monday. And the departure from Roatan is now uniformly at 2pm. So if you took a plane into RTB around noon, it would theoretically be possible to catch the ferry, which docks about a mile to the west. But please rely on their web site rather than me. I HAVE been in error on occasion.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
kalamazoo
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Roatan

I will check with the ferry schedule. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
54 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Roatan

You mean this ferry right? http://www.utilaferry.com/

Does seem to have more dates now and I am planning to use it in April.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Roatan

Looks like utillaferry.com has First class roundtrip Roatan to Utilla for 1400l. ($60 US) vs 1300 for "coach". From what I can tell,the difference is first class is enclosed with AC? Is that right?

Thanks dhauk ( probably) ;)

I'm guessing champagne and hot towels are extra.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Roatan

I don’t know what constitutes first class on the ferry. Where we were, in steerage class, or maybe they call it second class, the AC was quite strong. Champagne and cool towels seemed no different. Maybe in first class (wherever that is) the tv actually works. People tried to sit outside in front for better view but soon had to retreat because of the wind. It IS a fast boat. One suggestion if you are prone to seasickness... sit in the back where it is less rough.

Stockton, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry to Roatan

So I just want to clarify, because I have seen posts like this elsewhere on this forum... We can now get from Roatan to Utila all 7 days of the week? My husband and I will be spending 5 days in Roatan in Mid-July before traveling to Utila for 5 days. Our current plan is to travel on Wednesday, Do we have to worry about the boat filling up? We were traveling this past summer somewhere and almost missed a return boat because there were mix up with dates and the boat was full!

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry to Roatan

reganamber, I cannot guarantee that the direct ferry runs every day all year round, but their web site and FB seem to indicate that now and do not suggest that it is daily only seasonally. They have been improving their service continually over the last year, to provide more departures and to attempt to coordinate with flight arrivals and departures out of RTB. Best you contact your lodging in Utila since they would have the latest word. If there are days when it is not operating you could change your plans a day of so. The round trip is cheaper than 2 one-way tickets, but if you change your plan after buying it, you have to pay a small change fee. The boat is huge, so I cannot imagine it filling up. If every seat is taken, you could always stand. There are seats in front outside but they empty pretty quickly once the boats hits top speed.

Edited: 03 April 2018, 18:12
Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Reply to: Ferry to Roatan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted