We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandy Cay island rental

Which Utila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
191 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sandy Cay island rental

We're looking at this for a family vacation. I don't see too many comments about it-has anyone actually been? Liked it?

Augusta, Georgia
4 posts
Save Reply
71. Re: Sandy Cay island rental

How large is your family? Do you get along, as Sandy Cay is as isolated as it gets. We loved it, have vacationed there 2 years running. The Jackson's are very acccomadating. Recommend you take snorkle gear, renting a Kayak wouldn't hurt, though we spent a lot of time just reading. You will never forget this vacation. We flew into Roatan, ferried to La Ceiba, then ferried to Utica where we met Barry Jackson. There are other ways to get to Utila, plane, Catamaran, suggest you look at them all, we did. Part of the adventure is getting there. Hope this helps.

calgary
Level Contributor
73 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Sandy Cay island rental

Wow, I've been reading all these reviews and the wheels have been turning in my head! I was thinking about honeymooning in honduras this summer and spending a few nights on Sandy Cay, this settles it!

A few questions:

- We'll be going end of June/Early July. What's the weather like that time of year?

- How is the bugs situation there that time of year? Bug spray and mosquito nets do the trick, or anything else we should take?

- Where do you get firewood from to make little bonfires?

- Could I pack a little tent to set up outside near the beach?

- Could we get mosquito nets from the grocery stores on Utila?

- Any other provisions we should take that you guys can think of considering that time of year?

Thanks in advance!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Sandy Cay island rental

i live in the neighborhood so i can help.

the weather will be around 90f during the day 80f at night, water will be around 83f. its dry season so highly unlikely you'll get any rain. bugs aren't really bad at anytime on the cays but bring some deep woods off. should be plenty of driftwood on the beach to burn. there are already mozzy nets in the house. buy lots of ice, you will be hot, no a/c.

Edited: 11 January 2013, 17:26
calgary
Level Contributor
73 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Sandy Cay island rental

Right on! Thanks!

So we can make a fire pretty much anywhere on the beach or are there designated fire pits?

We plan on getting our open water certification in Utila as well, the place i've been in contact with is Bay Islands College of Diving. Where around utila will the water be clearest? Any recommended spots to dive?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Sandy Cay island rental

you may have a bit of a problem getting one of the utila dive shops to come out to the cay to pick you up and i think having to go to town by boat each day for class might be a pain in the a..... there is a new dive company (owned by a very experienced couple of dive teachers) that is much closer to the cay called utila cays divers. they are 3 miles closer to the cay than utila town and would probably be a better choice to do your open water course. their email is bogdan.travel@gmail.com, just tell them their neighbor don lorenzo sent you and they will take extra good care of you.

at the time of the year you are going you should experience perfect vizability as it will have been months since any decent rainfall, expect at least 80ft viz. the snorkeling around the cay is good and there are a couple of dive sites nearby but the best dive sites are on the northside which is a 10 minute boat ride away, most people dive the northside in the a.m. and the southside (near the cays) in the p.m.

i'm not sure if there's a fire pit (probably is) just be careful which way the wind is blowing, its a wooden house and there's no fire brigade !!

calgary
Level Contributor
73 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Sandy Cay island rental

Great, thanks for the info! These tips are great!

I was actually thinking of staying at a dive shop for four days and get our divers certification, and then head to sandy cay for two or three nights, but I'll email them and see what options they can give!

Thanks again, I may be in touch again if I have questions!

calgary
Level Contributor
73 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Sandy Cay island rental

This is a bit off topic, but since you guys have been pretty helpful:

We're flying in to roatan, and will spend 2 nights there before going to Utila/Sandy Cay.

Any suggestions on :

- Good places for a honeymooning couple to stay?

- Where the clearest waters are on the Island?

- Top things to see/do in two days?

- Best way to get to Utila from Roatan?

Thanks!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Sandy Cay island rental

the best way from roatan to utila is to fly with captain angelo via island air ($200rt pp). the catamaran isn't running at the moment.

the best beach/snorkeling water on roatan is west bay beach, infinity bay is a nice hotel/condo resort to stay at. the only downside to the western end of roatan is the cruise ship passenger hoards but jan-may tends to be the busiest time (sometimes four ships in a single day) so between 10am-3.30pm the beach can be a bit of a zoo. but june/july may not be so bad. the western end of roatan is really for people who like to be around lots of other people.

still, it will make you appreciate utila :)

perhaps you should post a what should we do/not miss in two days? question on the roatan forum.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Sandy Cay island rental

you may want to check out mayan princess as an option too (big place like infinity bay).

if you prefer a funkier more rustic feel, look at accommodations in west end, the beach isn't all that but more village like than the developed west bay.

Cypress
3 posts
Save Reply
80. Re: Sandy Cay island rental

How is the safety of Sandy Cay? Have there been any incidents on the island?