We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Little Cay, Utila

I am in the process of booking one of the Cays (Little Cay or Sandy Cay) for a few days R&R after learning to scuba dive on Utila next Feb/March. Anyone know anything about them? Which cay is nicer? More private? Will the sand flies be a real problem? Any other info/advice? Thanks!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Little Cay, Utila

We are going in Feb. We booked a couple of months ago and there was still some availability that far out, although not for an extended stay. We just wanted a few nights. It took quite a while emailing back and forth, there was at least a week or more before I got a reply, but Erica was really friendly and helpful. Didn't have any success with phoning, just got a recorded message in Spanish each time I tried, and I don't speak Spanish!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Little Cay, Utila

i'm not sure if the rental includes a kayak but if it does be sure to visit the purple pelican for lunch. its on the main island of utila right opposite little cay, on pine point beach (the jacksons can point it out to you). in my opinion its better than anywhere on the cays or utila town for lunch.

Maine
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Little Cay, Utila

We have just booked Little Cay for 5 days in July. Where is the best place to buy groceries for our stay and will we be able to buy a cooler for our meat, fish etc. Thanks

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Little Cay, Utila

bush's market in utila town generally has the best selection. if the jacksons can't provide one, i'd consider bringing a large cooler with you, they're not always in stock on utila and you'll definitely need one on little cay. it will be pretty warm in july with no a/c and with a big cooler you can buy and store lots of additional ice from the fish house on lower/pigeon cay as needed.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Little Cay, Utila

ps. don't buy seafood in utila town, buy your fish at the fish house on pigeon cay, all fresh, snapper, tuna, grouper, wahoo etc. caught and iced that day.

Dorchester, Nebraska
Level Contributor
244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Little Cay, Utila

How much are groceries, and where's the best place to get them? Seriously considering Little cay, and trying to figure out a budget. Could be a group of us going w/ our kids, so may need a lot! Oh, and is there a grill? Thanks! :-)

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Little Cay, Utila

groceries are similar to u.s. prices, slightly higher for packaged goods, slightly lower for fresh (limited selection), very inexpensive for local beers and rum.

Calgary
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Little Cay, Utila

Hi-

We are looking at goingto Little Cay next winter and we would love as much info as you want to give us! There would be 10 of us...is there lots of room? Any problems with the generator while you were there? Was it easy arranging transport to/from Utila? We are staying in a villa on mainland Honduras for about 10 days first, but would love to finish off our holiday by staying here for 4 days or so-

Thank you so much!

Shannon

Maine
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Little Cay, Utila

We are going in June so please post your experiences when you get back.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Little Cay, Utila

10 people will be very tight/rough in my opinion, any one else?

Get answers to your questions about Utila
Recent Conversations