We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth the price difference-Deep Blue?

Seattle
Level Contributor
79 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth the price difference-Deep Blue?

We are looking to book in Utila, but it seems Deep Blue and a few other resorts are charging $1200-$1600 per person for a week, while others are $500-600. Does anyone have an opinion on if it is worth the price difference? Would love to hear your perspective. Thanks.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth the price difference-Deep Blue?

deep blue resort, utopia dive village and laguna beach are the only real resort hotels on utila. they are water front locations, include meals, diving etc.

the other "resorts" are in town and their rooms and facilities are nowhere near as nice, it depends on what you're looking for.

i am glad to answer specific questions about any utila hotels if you message me or list them on the forum.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth the price difference-Deep Blue?

I'm not a resort-type person. We like to prepare some of our own meals and try the local eateries. Our perfect combination on Utila is the Lighthouse (~$300/week for spotless rooms with kitchenettes and balconies over the water), just a few "doors" down from my favorite dive shop, Alton's. Our favorite restaurant is RJ's Barbecue across the street. They're located by the bridge to the old airport, a quieter part of town and closer to good snorkeling and flyfishing. The 3rd link below has our photos, blogs, and travelogues (check out 2008). Happy trails!

aboututila.com/AccomInfo/…Index.htm

http://www.altonsdiveshop.com/

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Utila, Honduras
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth the price difference-Deep Blue?

Utila can offer two different types diving experience.

For those that have the money, there is "resort diving," which is higher quality and all inclusive, for those who want to be able to relax and not think about a thing. Resort divers are not required to set up or break down and rinse their gear, as the resort staff are paid to do this. In other words, you pay for ultimate luxury!

The other type of diving on Utila is Dive centre based, where courses and fun diving take place at a much cheaper rate. This is not to say it is not quality diving, but it is less exclusive and more for the type of person who likes to experience the culture of the area and therefore pay a lot less!

Please see the following link for an example of some prices that you would pay at Deep Blue Divers, the sister Dive Centre of Deep Blue Resort.

http://deepbluediversutila.com/diving.html

I hope this helps!

4. Re: Is it worth the price difference-Deep Blue?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 19:19