We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing

Are there restrictions on fishing from shore on Utila. Are there certain areas that fishing isnt allowed from shore. My kids want to fish from the dock, shore etc...

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing

technically there's no fishing allowed on the reef. so if you can find shore or docks without reef in front you're ok. another option is to fish the shallow sandy bays, there you'll have a chance to catch bonefish, tarpon etc. just be ready for an incredible fight.

USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing

DN-

Any suggestions on specific locales to find some bones and/or tarpon?!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing

My husband catches bonefish on flies in the flats off the old airport area. If you can time it right with the morning tides, I think there would be some good opportunities on the north side (would require a boat).

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing

there are guys on pigeon cay who will guide you to bone fishing areas on the north shore such as turtle and/or rock harbor.

Utila
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing

Hi,

All the other responses are accurate but you might consider fishing Paradise Cove for bone fish as it is very popular with fishermen who travel here. You can also hire a local guy in town for flats/fly fishing. His name is "Tony" and any local will know him.

Turtle Harbor is a Restricted Environment. Rock Harbor is NOT and you can reach there via the south lagoon by Kayak or special boat.

Utila, Honduras
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing

I agree, please note that catching the reef fish is not sustainable here. Surveys being taken out on Utila's reefs are showing that the reef fish in Utila's waters are at critically low levels, including the reef snapper, grouper and parrotfish.

Also, it's good to be aware that the sea grass beds are vital nurseries for juevenille fish, if these are fished out then fish populations collapse.

Responsible fishing practices are appreciated, the best way to fish on Utila is to put it back afterwards! :)

Lafayette, Louisiana
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing

I'll agree with ramehrer, Tony is an excellent guide! No bells, no whistles,low keyed,low life, My kinda' guy !

Central Russia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing

Does anyone know how to contact Tony? I am looking for a guide to go bone fishing with on the flats or kayak fishing in the mangroves. I will probably bring my own rod and reel but would prefer to find a decent local guide.

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing

Go to Gunter's Dive shop and ask for the Tony the fishing guide. Tony will take you through the lagoon to the north side of the island. Excellent flats fishing with no development, no people...its amazing. Bring your own equipment though, you will be happy you did. Tony is the MAN. But be ready for him to be buzzed the entire time. Or just get buzzed with him, that is what I did...even though it was 8:00am

10. Re: Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2012, 10:25