We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Utila better than Roatan (West Bay) for snorkelling ?

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Is Utila better than Roatan (West Bay) for snorkelling ?

We went to West Bay 2 years ago and felt in love with this place. It's like Tobacco Caye in Belize. Snorkel all day long direct from the shore.

My question is

IS Utila have same good snorkel spot ? Is the weather in January are good for snorkelling ?

Mentioned in this post
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
Belize
Belize
Central America
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Utila better than Roatan (West Bay) for snorkelling ?

If you stay on the south shore of utila the snorkeling is fantastic. Rentals such as the pineapple house & the cabana at big rock have a coral reef right in front & it goes for several miles parallel to the beach & it starts only a few feet from the shore. I snorkeled treasure beach in front of the pineapple house a couple of weeks ago & saw an eagle ray, tarpon and a southern ray, highly recommended. January is the end of the rainy season in the bay islands so you may get some showers, visibilty is better a month or two later.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,225 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Utila better than Roatan (West Bay) for snorkelling ?

If you stay in the Utila town I think you'll find good shore snorkeling more difficult to find than in lots of places on Roatán including Sandy Bay, West End, and West Bay. We're heading to Camp Bay this summer (and Sandy Bay again) and have heard the shore snorkeling is excellent.

On Utila access to many of the coolest snorkeling spots are accessible by boat if you're not renting a place that you get to by boat. There are some excellent snorkeling opportunities near the Airport Caves dive site off the old airport end of the island that you can walk to; it's a little hard to find and access is rough at low tide. I've heard there are a few spots on the far west end of town, too.

In other words, great shore snorkeling from both islands but tougher to find without a boat on Utila imo.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Utila better than Roatan (West Bay) for snorkelling ?

I have heard from a couple of reviews that the shore diving and snorkeling in front of Utopia Village is dangerous. Why would that be? I mean if the water is relatively calm, what would the danger be? In the prelim stages of planning a trip! I love what I've read so far!

Mentioned in this post
Utopia Village
Utopia Village
250 Reviews
Utila, Honduras
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Utila better than Roatan (West Bay) for snorkelling ?

it can get a bit rough in front of utopia sometimes but "dangerous" might be an exaggeration, except for perhaps a few days a year. and even then, if you walk west a few hundred yards towards treasure beach its always calm there.

5. Re: Is Utila better than Roatan (West Bay) for snorkelling ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2012, 08:18