We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay Utila

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay Utila

Looking for some advice.. Looking for a place thats outside town, nothing fancy or luxurious, near snorkeling.. Suggestions?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay Utila

my favorite rentals are the pineapple house on treasure beach and the cabana at big rock, both are on beaches are they both have beautiful coral reefs right in front for snorkeling. both of these homes are boat access only so its like having your own private beach. another option is to rent sandy or little cay, private islands.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,930 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay Utila

If you want to be able to walk to restaurants, the Lighthouse is really wonderful. It's on a quieter end of town by the bridge leading to the old airport. You can't snorkel right there but if you walk down to the end there is excellent snorkeling out toward the Airport Caves dive sites. Happy trails!

aboututila.com/AccomInfo/…Index.htm

pnwtoc
Level Contributor
132 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay Utila

Divenuts, I wonder if you would mind commenting more on the differences / pros and cons between staying on one of the private islands vs the two rentals you mentioned (Pineapple and Cabana).

My wife and I have stayed on Little before. When I read your comment about boat access only, it made me wonder if other places aren't just as good.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay Utila

both the pineapple house and the cabana at big rock will give you lots of privacy and an empty beach (like little cay)although you will see a local every now and then hunting crabs or collecting coconuts, both have coral reefs right in front of the houses for snorkeling and both have docks that are good for relaxing on (nice sea breezes if its hot) . i guess the main differences are that the houses allow you to dive if you want to (dive operators will pick you up and drop you off), both are within walking distance (10-15 mins) of utopia resort if you want dinner out and the homes are much nicer than the cay. i've stayed at both places if you have any specific questions.

pnwtoc
Level Contributor
132 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay Utila

Thanks. No diving for me. Just snorkeling. No restaurants either. Privacy is top on my list. Pineapple house sounds good though and may try it in the future.

Also, thanks for all your great informative posts on this forum. Utila is a bit more out of the way that many vacation destinations and we all appreciate your taking the time to help us along.

With that buttering-up comment and at the risk of hi-jacking this thread, I have several questions that I would appreciate your insight into.

We are staying on Little Cay for several nights in June. The plan is to fly into SAP around noon and take a bus to LCE. Plan A is to catch the 1:45 Viana, if I don’t make that I’ll take the Heman Alas which leaves at 3:20. The more I think about it, it seems pretty likely that we won't make the Viana bus.

Assuming I miss Viana and take Hedman, I’ll arrive at La Ceiba around 6, I believe. We will need to do some grocery shopping before catching the ferry the next morning. Is it possible and safe to grocery shop after 6pm in Ceiba? I recall that it gets dark pretty early - at least when I was there in December. I read another post of yours about getting fresh fish on Pigeon and will take that advice. But we were planning on shopping for other stuff before taking the ferry over. I guess I’m just a little leery of getting on Utila and not being able to find something. No going back at that point. So I'd prefer to pick up what I need excluding fish in Ceiba.

We are considering bringing an ice chest (empty) as checked baggage. That way we won’t run the risk of not finding one (or having to pay for one) there. Thoughts on that?

Do you have a recommended hotel in Ceiba? Fancy isn’t required.

Snorkel gear. I have an 11 year old who is pumped about snorkeling there. Do you recommend renting teh gear in Utila or just to bring all our own stuff? Again, I don’t mind renting or even buying when I’m there, but I’m a little paranoid about getting to Utila and them not having a particular size or something and then I’m totally out of luck.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Atlantida Department, Honduras
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay Utila

there's a big supermarket in the la ceiba mall, i think its open until 8 or 9pm and its right across the street from the hedman alas bus station. much better than the stores on utila.

hotel paris in la ceiba is ok and a good value for money.

call your airline re bringing a cooler, they have rules now re. no coolers or boxes on flights to caribbean and central america during school holidays. i had to leave a cooler at o'hare last summer. if not they have them in the supermarket in la ceiba.

i'd bring snorkel gear with you, fins and mask. be a shame if your boy couldn't get something here that fits well . its going to be hot in june and i could be wrong but i don't think there are any ceiling fans in the house on little cay so you'll be spending lots of time in the water.

Mentioned in this post
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Atlantida Department, Honduras
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,930 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay Utila

I 2nd buying snorkel gear ahead. If you google for clearance scuba stores online you'll find some inexpensive but great quality sets; look for silicone skirts on the mask, glass instead of plexiglas, and silicone mouth parts on snorkels with "stay dry" tops. Happy trails!

Utila-Bay Islands
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay Utila

Thedrifter: If you are looking for vacation rentals outside of town, the ones mentioned above Pineapple House and Big Rock Cabana on South Shore are both really great options; great houses and great locations.

If you are looking for something a little more simpler, the Pelicans Nest is also on South Shore is also a good bet.

If you are looking for a simple hotel "outside of town with good snorkeling", take a look at Coral View. Its clean, friendly, and in front of great snorkeling and still walkable from town.

The bigger question is"what does outside of town" mean to you. As has been discussed elsewhere in this forum, for some it means still being able to walk to town, but for others, the boat access idea is really appealing. (For us too, we live boat access from town and love it!)

You can see a full list of Utila Hotels here: http://utilaguide.com/hotels/hotels/

And a Good Listing of Utila Vacation Rentals Here:

utilaguide.com/hotels/utilavacationrentals/

Hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
9. Re: Best place to stay Utila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2013, 10:19