We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on travel to Utila via Aerolineas Sosa or TACA

Which Utila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need advice on travel to Utila via Aerolineas Sosa or TACA

Hello All,

I have a trip planned to Utila in late march/early april. I am flying into tegucigalpa and then flying from there. I have a few questions I am desperately seeking help with.

Has anyone ever flown Aerolineas Sosa? If so can you advise the best way to book flights? I have read that their website is useless as it does not actually reserve anything. If that is true and I must buy the tickets in Tegucigalpa should I pay in lempira or USD if there is a preference in your experience?

Has anyone flown directly to Utila? I see a flight that will take me directly to Utila for about 50 USD more which seems reasonable to me, I'm wondering if there are any catches here, like the flight only operates if there are enough passengers.

My return flight should be relatively stress free as I am under no time constraints and can fly from la ceiba to Tegucigalpa and then connect from there.

If anyone has any experiences or advice to offer I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very very much!

Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on travel to Utila via Aerolineas Sosa or TACA

Late March/Early April is Semena Santa, I wouldn't suggest taking a chance on flying without a firm reservation. Easter week gets pretty crazy in Honduras.

Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on travel to Utila via Aerolineas Sosa or TACA

Links to the local flyers can be found o this page.

http://www.mariposa-lodge.com/3.html

Utila-Bay Islands
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on travel to Utila via Aerolineas Sosa or TACA

One of the best resources on local flight information can be found here:

utilaguide.com/utilatravel/domesticflights/

As for your questions- yes, I suggest booking with one of the local travel agents (Alice of Worldwide Travel or Frank of Morgan's Travel- both can be found on that page). Its a few bucks more, but if you have any problems you can go to them direct. Same for confirming return flight/re-booking etc. For sure I wouldn't chance just booking flight at the airport.

$50 usd seems really cheap and probably outdated material if coming from Teguc. More like $120 usd one way. $50 would be from the closer port town of La Ceiba. On your return, Alice can also just book from Utila to Teguc direct.

Keep in mind that flights ONLY come in to Utila from San Pedro Sula / Teguc / LCE on Mon, Wed, Friday and Saturday. And Return ONLY on Tues / Thurs / Sat. Check that link above for times etc.

Hope that helps~

California
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on travel to Utila via Aerolineas Sosa or TACA

Thank you that does help! Looking forward to my trip!

5. Re: Need advice on travel to Utila via Aerolineas Sosa or TACA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2013, 10:19