We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandy Cay, Little Cay, or just Utila? Or Both?

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sandy Cay, Little Cay, or just Utila? Or Both?

I didn't want this to get lost in the Sandy Cay rental thread so determined to start a new thread here.

There was a lot of good info on that Sandy Cay thread, but I still have a couple of questions.

First, a bit of background. This trip is still probably a year off or so, and we are in the preliminary planning phase. This trip will include me, my wife, our two toddlers, another couple, and their two toddlers. We were all in Utila back in '02, long before the kiddos came along and have since been to Roatan several times, including our honeymoon.

We are now considering renting either Sandy Cay or Little Cay as a nice families get away. Our major concern at this point is being able to get to Utila or anywhere else for going to a restaurant rather than cooking ourselves....getting supplies....and also planning scuba adventures. I would throw the bar in there as well (have fond memories of Coco Loco) but I don't think we'll be doing a whole lot of that with the kiddos.

Is either Cay better/worse than the other? Really $40 for a water taxi? Any other way to arrange some diving? Re-stocking supplies (my buddy and I can drink our weight in Salva Vida and Flora de Cana, so don't want to run too low)?

Something else we're considering is just spending a few nights on our own private island and then a few nights in Utila...we're looking into Oyster Lagoon Beach House. May this be the way to go if we want to make sure we can hit a couple of the restaurants we so fondly remember?

In an effort to avoid the mainland, we will most likely fly direct to Roatan and then to Utila. The last time around, we had to spend pretty much a 1/2 day and overnight in La Ceiba due to our flights.....wasn't the worst I've ever done, but not my favorite either.

Any comments, suggetions, criticisms appreciated.

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Atlantida Department, Honduras
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandy Cay, Little Cay, or just Utila? Or Both?

perhaps you should consider one of the rentals on the south shore, the dive shops will pick you up and drop you off at the houses and they have caretakers with boats who can take you to town and/ or the cays to eat. both the pineapple house and the cabana at big rock offer lots of privacy and nice beaches and both are also within walking distance of utopia resort for dinners out and a beach bar.

pnwtoc
Level Contributor
132 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandy Cay, Little Cay, or just Utila? Or Both?

I agree with divenuts. Having stayed on Little Cay, it's my opinion that you should only go there if you intend to relax and stay put. You are going to feel frustrated and trapped if you are constantly wanting to go places.

If you are dead set on a private island, I would recommend Little Cay to you. It's a little closer to Utila than Sandy, but it also has a rock wall around it with shallow water inside which might be good for your toddlers.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandy Cay, Little Cay, or just Utila? Or Both?

pnwtoc - I think that's the big kicker for us..."you're going to feel frustrated and trapped if you are constantly wanting to go places."

On one hand, having our own private island, all to ourselves, has long been something we've thought would be more or less paradise. The flip side is that we've always been pretty adventurous and like to get out and about, mingle, and see what there is to see.

I guess we'll have to give this a bit more thought and determine if we would go stir crazy on our own island. I'll definitely have to look into south shore.

Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandy Cay, Little Cay, or just Utila? Or Both?

I'm heading back to Utila in just a few days for a couple month stay. I have stayed in several locations in the past. Little Cay is an Excellant place to stay and I recommend it over Sandy. There is no reason to feel "Trapped" on the island...once you get there. You will arrange for Cary Bush (A local and overall great and trustworthy guy) to transport you where ever and when ever you want to go. Cary lives on Pigeon a small set of combined keys that is like a mini version of Utila. And very close to Little Cay...it is also where Capt Morgans Dive Center is located. There is a radio transmitter on Little Cay..if you need something holler for Cary to bring it to you, if you feel the urge to go to pigeon or Utila holler for Cary and he will take you...if you know ahead of time just holler for Cary and tell him what time you want picked up. He will settle up with you at the end of the trip for a very low price...last time Cary ferried my family around for 10 days to pigeon or Utila every day...brought supplies when needed, hung out with us some and when it was all over I ended up giving him double what he asked because it was simply too low. Now the Jackson's own the island and he will ferry you as well....for a much higher fee...cary is his cousin BTW and is the kind of person that will be a friend for life.

I generally am a long term vacationer when I go..so i know a little bit about Rock and maintain a few ex-pat and Local friends there...any questions you can email me direct at Rbertcrockett1@gmail.com and I'll be happy to try and answer any Utila questions you may have

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila Dive Center
Utila Dive Center
764 Reviews
Utila, Honduras
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandy Cay, Little Cay, or just Utila? Or Both?

I'm heading back to Utila in just a few days for a couple month stay. I have stayed in several locations in the past. Little Cay is an Excellant place to stay and I recommend it over Sandy. There is no reason to feel "Trapped" on the island...once you get there. You will arrange for Cary Bush (A local and overall great and trustworthy guy) to transport you where ever and when ever you want to go. Cary lives on Pigeon a small set of combined keys that is like a mini version of Utila. And very close to Little Cay...it is also where Capt Morgans Dive Center is located. There is a radio transmitter on Little Cay..if you need something holler for Cary to bring it to you, if you feel the urge to go to pigeon or Utila holler for Cary and he will take you...if you know ahead of time just holler for Cary and tell him what time you want picked up. He will settle up with you at the end of the trip for a very low price...last time Cary ferried my family around for 10 days to pigeon or Utila every day...brought supplies when needed, hung out with us some and when it was all over I ended up giving him double what he asked because it was simply too low. Now the Jackson's own the island and he will ferry you as well....for a much higher fee...cary is his cousin BTW and is the kind of person that will be a friend for life.

I generally am a long term vacationer when I go..so i know a little bit about Rock and maintain a few ex-pat and Local friends there...any questions you can email me direct at Rbertcrockett1@gmail.com and I'll be happy to try and answer any Utila questions you may have

But to answer your exact questions

40 dollar water taxi....too high can be done for far far less

Supplies of any type including Salva can be acquired on Pigeon right near Little Cay...and most of them cheaper then on Utila.

Captain Morgans will be your dive center ...fun outfit and the primarily dive the North side (better side) also where you will see whale sharks if your lucky enough.

And lastly the only thing Utila will offer over pigeon is a few more food options..though more expensive...a couple great bars like CocoLoCo and Treetanic and well that's it...other then u will probably be asked to buy drugs in Utila but if you are firm that you do not want them they will stop asking. So more diverse nightlife choices on Utila along with more expensive yet the same food and a much greater dive shop selection. Though I rate Morgans near the top with UDC, CrossCreek, BICD, Altons and Deep Blue.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila Dive Center
Utila Dive Center
764 Reviews
Utila, Honduras
6. Re: Sandy Cay, Little Cay, or just Utila? Or Both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:18