We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay on Utila...? Blue Bayou or Paradise Cove?

Cloverdale...
11 posts
Save Topic
Best place to stay on Utila...? Blue Bayou or Paradise Cove?

I am going to Utila in September and have narrowed my stay to either Blue Bayou area (south shore) or Paradise Cove. Both are one bedroom places. Can anyone suggest something better? I want low price (2 weeks or a month), ability to dive/snorkel right in front of house, kitchen, wifi, possibly bikes. Does anyone know anything about snorkeling/diving in Paradise Cove and how far it is to town?? Which has best atmosphere and beach? I know PC I probably more remote and private.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay on Utila...? Blue Bayou or Paradise Cove?

what is your definition of low price for 2 weeks or a month?

paradise cove is about a 20-25 min walk to the center of town, i'm not sure what the snorkeling/water access is like at paradise cove you should contact the owner but the water can get a bit rough out on that eastern tip of the island when the east wind is blowing. however the breeze is usually most welcome.

blue bayou is a bit closer to town, maybe 15-20 mins to the center but the bars etc. in sandy bay are only 10 mins walk. there is a great snorkeling spot by blue bayou definitely the best snorkeling close to town but there's no beach just a sea wall with steps down into the water, the closest beach is chepes and its a 5 min walk.

overall paradise cove is probably a bit more picturesque that blue bayou but both locations are decent if you want to be in the road access part of the island (the town area).

if you're a diver blue bayou is 3 mins from coral view divers who are a well respected dive operator, with paradise cove you're going to have a 10-15 min walk to altons or utila dive center but perhaps the house has a bicycle?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay on Utila...? Blue Bayou or Paradise Cove?

Please just ignore this if you've no interest, but our favorite place to stay on Utila is the Lighthouse.

aboututila.com/AccomInfo/…Index.htm

It's beautiful and a great value plus we love the location by the bridge leading to the old airport site where there's a nice beach, great snorkeling from shore, and good flyfishing. My favorite dive shop, Alton's, is just a few doors down and our favorite restaurant, RJ's, is across from there.

Note that the kitchens in the Lighthouse don't have an oven/stove, though - they're just kitchenettes with sink, micro, fridge, etc. Just my 2 lempiras' worth...have a great visit, whatever you decide!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay on Utila...? Blue Bayou or Paradise Cove?

We have stayed at Paradise Cove twice (Paradise Cove Bungalow, Tropico Visto Junior) and it can definitely be far too rough to snorkel on windy days. On calm ones, it's great. We have always walked in to town from Paradise Cove in the morning (go by the beach, it's a much better, easier route), stayed all day and then walked back in the evening. Make sure to bring a flash light or two if this is your plan. You can also rent a golf cart or scooter in town (in my experience the property managers or owners are happy to help with this), which would make it a breeze to get in to town. We made it out to Blue Bayou for an afternoon on our last trip, and the snorkeling was amazing off Coral View's dock both during the daylight hours and as a twilight/evening snorkel. It is a good distance to town, and in my opinion was a bit farther to town center. There is a bit less privacy out that way also, although I think we are going to try that end of town when we return in the spring just because of the fantastic snorkeling right out your front door.

On our last trip, we stayed in town at the Lazy Daze apartments, and while the accommodations were great, as well as the convenience to Alton's (our dive shop of choice), it is a little too noisy with the roosters and dogs for company next door.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 18:26
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay on Utila...? Blue Bayou or Paradise Cove?

@feftal as you've already spent 3 trips in & around the town of east harbor, isn't it time you spent a vacation on a deserted beach in a beautiful house that has an amazing empty beach with calm water for snorkeling and diving right in front of your rental with no need to walk, bicycle or golf cart for miles? Check out treasure beach, big rock or sandy cay next time & stay in the most beautiful parts of utila instead.

Cloverdale...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay on Utila...? Blue Bayou or Paradise Cove?

I forgot to ask...does anyone know if Customs allows a 31 day stay? I am staying 31 days starting Sept2...in Paradise Cove! Thanks for any help!

Rancho Cucamonga...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay on Utila...? Blue Bayou or Paradise Cove?

We just got back from Paradise Cove and yes you can snorkle right out front and the little private beach is simply magical. We rented a golf cart but a bike would do as well. The roads are ok (hard packed dirt) until you get to town and a few nights there were rain storms and there was some standing water on the road out to Paradise Cove. You are isolated out there but that is one of the main things we loved about it. We would go into town to socialize, eat and drink! We LOVED every minute of our stay on Utila. Go to Driftwood Bar and Grill and meet Sharon and Bruce as well as Rehab to meet Lee. Very nice folks with alot of information! Have fun!

Cloverdale...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay on Utila...? Blue Bayou or Paradise Cove?

I am staying here in paradise cove and it is awesome!! I would recommend Tropico Vista Tranquila apt to any couple who wants a lovely private place to vacation. We road our bikes (included) down to blue bayou and realized we made the right choice. Both are great but we love our place and the owners are very nice and helpful. The water is rough in the eve but smooth most of the day. We just got here last night and havent had a chance to get in the water yet. I will report back later...thanks for all the answers!

Cloverdale...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay on Utila...? Blue Bayou or Paradise Cove?

Got in the water on our second day and didn't want to get out! Best place I have ever snorkeled...there is even a whale shark a mile off the coast from the Cove that you can snorkel with if you can find her! Loving it here in Paradise!

Garden Valley, Idaho
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay on Utila...? Blue Bayou or Paradise Cove?

I loved the solitude at Paradise Cove, but it was far from town. Snorkeling was OK from my little private palapa and dock, but it is better near Blue Bayou.

10. Re: Best place to stay on Utila...? Blue Bayou or Paradise Cove?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 07:18