We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The truly best beach snorkeling...where?

Madison, Mississippi
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
The truly best beach snorkeling...where?

We are two women friends looking for probably our last snorkeling before (turning 60 soon, on to other adventures). I personally have been diving/snorkeling the Caribbean for 35 years and realize the reef structure throughout the entire area has suffered greatly since our first days to see it. Is Utila perhaps the last of the best? We'd like to stay a week on the best beach with the best beach snorkeling, on living reef, if it still exists there. Any advice? Many thanks.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The truly best beach snorkeling...where?

in the utila town area the best snorkeling would be in the area around coral view resort but there really isnt a beach. for great snorkeling right off of a beach my favorite places are 2-3 miles west of town on the south shore. the cabana at big rock is a nice vacation rental on jack neal beach, great snorkeling and a lovely beach. my other favorite spot is the coral house or the pineapple house at treasure beach, again great snorkeling right off the beach and its within kayaking distance of the cays. the sand of jack neal beach is a bit nicer/softer than at treasure beach but the snorkeling is similar quality and treasure beach has easy access to other snorkeling spots around the cays. treasure beach is also closest to the uninhabited west and north sides which have fantastic snorkeling but you'll need someone with a boat to take you to those spots. if being in town is important another option would be to stay at the lighthouse inn, its within 10 mins walk of bandu beach which has good snorkeling close to shore and the lighthouse is a nice hotel.

Madison, Mississippi
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The truly best beach snorkeling...where?

Thank you so much for your reply. I have sent an inquiry to Coral House and hope to hear back, soon. If we stayd at these plans, how would we get around? Are there water taxis?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The truly best beach snorkeling...where?

i'm pretty sure both the coral house and the cabana at big rock have caretakers with boats as there's no road out at that end of the island. there are also several locals with boats that can be hired if you need transportation.

4. Re: The truly best beach snorkeling...where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 06:18