We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South end via hiking/ATV?

Windsor, WI
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
South end via hiking/ATV?

Everything I've read tells me that the south side of the island is only accessible by boat. Are there no hiking or ATV/biking trails that go to that side of the island?

Thanks!

Melissa

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South end via hiking/ATV?

there is a trail that leads from laguuna beach all the way past coral view and neptunes grill, jack neal beach, utopia resort, mariners landing and treasure beach until you get to the southwestern tip of the island right opposite the cays. its not good for a bicycle as its very bumpy and/or made of chunks of rock and coral. of course you can also walk the whole way along the south shore beach (with a couple of deviations) but to get to either route you have to first get across the opening of the lower lagoon that separates town from the beginning of the south shore at laguuna beach. this would involve either a 100' swim or a lift from someone with a boat.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South end via hiking/ATV?

to walk along the south shore from laguuna beach to joe's point opposite the cays (the end of the path/track) would be about 4 miles, a little less if you stick to the beach.

Windsor, WI
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: South end via hiking/ATV?

Thanks, divenuts! I've never minded the hiking, but I'm not sure I'm up for a lagoon swim... :)

Victoria BC Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South end via hiking/ATV?

There's always he option of renting a kayak from someone out in blue bayou and doing the crossing with that. Hiking through the mangroves to get to the south side would be, IMO, seriously hardcore. Swimming the lagoon is rather "uninviting", to say the least.

5. Re: South end via hiking/ATV?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 06:19