We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning - Skimmers active on ATM(s) in Utila

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Warning - Skimmers active on ATM(s) in Utila

Just had my card skimmed. Probably the Banco Atlantida ATM in Utila. Fraudulent transactions have just shown up on my account. Multiple transactions to 'Fashion Avenue New York US' for 4000 Lempira until my card's daily limit was reached.

United States
Level Contributor
594 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning - Skimmers active on ATM(s) in Utila

Old news. Read this post: tripadvisor.com/…56122024

I warned everyone and was also warned before it happened to me.

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning - Skimmers active on ATM(s) in Utila

Well - your post was Roatan and more than a month ago. No harm in letting people know what has only just happened to me in Utila.

United States
Level Contributor
594 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning - Skimmers active on ATM(s) in Utila

No problem at all..I wish I would have taken the previous posts more seriously before I went. They have been posting about ATM scams many months ago.

calgary
Level Contributor
81 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning - Skimmers active on ATM(s) in Utila

Hi,

I am in West End right now and the 2 ATMs here look so sketchy and the guy at the dive shop said not to use them. He recommended the gas station. I went there and there were 2 guards outside with shotguns and one inside watching everyone like a hawk. I did the jiggle card insert on looked at the keypad and it looked ok. The withdrawal came out fine, no problems. I will still watch my account, change the pin and get a "traveling" bank account.

Cheers

St. John
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning - Skimmers active on ATM(s) in Utila

Almost positive I got hit with this. Just had a $395 cash advance from a bank in Mexico yesterday. I was not in Mexico yesterday. I was in Utila March 9th - 16th - used that ATM quite a few times.

United States
Level Contributor
594 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning - Skimmers active on ATM(s) in Utila

This has been broadcast-ed enough that I am sure that it is a known fact and probably has been for quite some time! It would appear from this lengthily time frame that the orchestrator of this crime is someone who has money and or influence because it really would not take much to shut down this operation. Who ever is running the skimmers on Utila and Roatan could care less about the tourism or the local people!

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
625 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning - Skimmers active on ATM(s) in Utila

I suspect this problem may be Honduras-wide. I used an ATM at the San Pedro Sula airport and then one at a bank in Copan. After that, I tried to use a bank ATM in Copan again and was denied. I contacted my bank and was informed that someone tried to buy $600 worth of stuff at a Soriana in Mexico with my debit card info. Insiders in the Honduran banking system must have access to the electronic data in the ATMs.

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning - Skimmers active on ATM(s) in Utila

What is the best option to withdraw money on the island then considering I don't want to be taking a large sum in cash??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning - Skimmers active on ATM(s) in Utila

You can go inside of the bank branch and do a cash advance from your credit card.... make sure you bring your passport as well, since they require ID

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,537 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning - Skimmers active on ATM(s) in Utila

The disadvantage of a cash advance on your credit card is that they'll begin charging the full interest allowed immediately, unlike purchases that only garner interest charges if you don't pay your bill in full when due. You can eliminate that problem by 'front loading' your account before you leave on your trip so you have a large enough credit balance to compensate for cash advances - then they won't charge interest.

Get answers to your questions about Utila
Recent Conversations