We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice getting to Copan and Roatan

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
advice getting to Copan and Roatan

I'm looking for help planning 2 days in Copan and then getting to Roatan. Which airport do I fly into, and how do I get to the ruins, then what's the best way to get to Roatan from there? Is weather better in JUly or Nov. (MY only choices)

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice getting to Copan and Roatan

Ok.. you need to fly into San Pedro Sula, Honduras. TACA, American (soon Delta) and Continental all have service to here.

To get to the ruins you can take the bus ( i believe they can also pick up from the airport... if not take a taxi to their office downtown about $10-$15 bucks)

www.hedmanalas.com its an exclusive bus that can take you to the city of Copan. From there you can take a taxi to the ruins and explore the city.

To get back you can take hedman alas back to San Pedro Sula.. and continue on with them to La Ceiba. From La Ceiba you can either fly to Roatan or take a ferry to the islands.

or from San Pedro Sula you can fly to Roatan (the plane will land first in La Ceiba).

TACA airlines, www.taca.com , islena airlines http://www.flyislena.com, also atlantic airlines has this service from san pedro sula to roatan.

Has far as the weather , its probably the same either month...

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro Sula
San Pedro Sula
Cortes Department, Honduras
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Atlantida Department, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: advice getting to Copan and Roatan

Andisue --

I can't add much to the very thorough travel information perviously posted.

As far a weather, July is a bit hotter than November, but in November you will be getting in to rainy season on the north Caribbean coast of Honduras. Rainy season is not generally a spot of rain here and there but can be more like monsoon season.

Have a great trip!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
belleville,ON
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: advice getting to Copan and Roatan

Hopefully this will help, if you can fly to La Ceiba, Honduras it would be worth your while. You have a choice of 2 bus lines, Hedman Alas ($22 LaCieba to Copan) or El Rey Express/Diana Express ($9.00) The second class bus is interesting if you are not too tired and takes about the same time. San Pedro de Sula is not the nicest city. You will see what I mean. Enjoy Honduras, it is a beautiful country, the people are great. Copan Ruinas is spectacular, you won't want to leave.!!

Mentioned in this post
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Copan Ruinas
Copan Ruinas
1,434 Reviews
Copan Ruinas, Honduras
Delta, British...
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice getting to Copan and Roatan

My wife and I just spent five days in Copan (did a family stay which is part of a Spanish School program). Don Udo's looks like a very nice hotel in Copan, had dinner there couple of times. There are lots of cafes/restaurants, Casa de Todo is great for breakfast or lunch. Read up on the ruins before you go, hire a guide at the ruins and you will enjoy it even more. The museum in town (right beside the town square) is excellent. We really enjoyed Copan. We will be involved in a "clean water" project for some of the local Maya Chorti villages near Copan this coming summer. Very helpful if you can speak Spanish.

We caught an early Hedman Alas bus (5:15AM) to San Pedro airport, then flew to Roatan (there are at least two regional airlines, we flew Sosa as the Taca flight was sold out, they are very busy Easter week). We stayed at West Bay Lodge which is one block away from West Bay Beach. Spent a week on Roatan, it is a very beautiful island and the water is really warm. No real problem with bugs, you do need to use some spray when you go out evenings as there are mosquitos. Lots of english speaking locals on Roatan.

We really enjoyed our time in the Honduras and will be returning.

Mike and Kathy Storey

Rotary Club of Ladner,

British Columbia

Mentioned in this post
Don Udo's
Don Udo's
175 Reviews
Copan Ruinas, Honduras
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Roatan