We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days do I need in the Copan area

Whitefish Bay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
How many days do I need in the Copan area

We are planning a 10 week trip thru central america with many stops, how long should we plan to spend around Copan?

Thanks, for any help.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days do I need in the Copan area

you'll need a whole day for the ruins and the on-site museum. if you stay a couple more days you could venture out of town and explore some of the smaller villages, horse ride, visit a coffee plantation etc.

i also recommend staying, or at least having dinner at hacienda san lucas just outside of town. casa de cafe is also recommended if you'd like a reasonably priced place to stay in town.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 12:23
San Pedro Sula...
Level Contributor
41 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days do I need in the Copan area

10 weeks in Central America is a pretty good time, hope you have squeezed in a few days (or planning to) for not only Copan, but many of the other marvelous places Honduras has to offer.

As previous poster recommends, I would suggest a couple of days too.

* Arhceological site & Museum covers 1 full day if you like to take a moment at each site and ask the guide for questions. (You'll need a rest since you'll walk a lot).

* Coffee Plantation Tour and horse back riding in coffeee plantation eat up almost another full day.

* You must visit Macaw Mountain and Luna Jaguar Spa. It also churns up another day. That will be one of the best spa experiences you'll ever have, trust me on this one.

* if you're traveling as a couple or a family and like nature, stay at Hacienda San Lucas, the best place for that in Copan. Food is simply out of this world!

So a 3 night stay will suffice for Copan to get the general experience. At nights you'll love wandering in the cobblestone streets and having a drink.

If you have specific interests, budget, experiences, please let us know and people in forum will most gladly be happy to suggest.

Have fun planning your trip, but most of all, during your trip!

Whitefish Bay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days do I need in the Copan area

The spa sounds amazing! We are a 29 year old couple who will be on a 14 month trip around the world, so budget is key. For accomodations we would like to stay under $25 for sure (for both of us), we prefer a private room with ensuite bath, and willing to pay a little extra for air. Any suggestions for good value hotels/restaurants/tours. We plan on coming to Copan from Omoa, we are unsure now if Omoa is where we want to go...reading mixed reviews...we would spend 3 nights on the sea side and then head to Copan for a few days before departing for Antigua. Thanks again!

San Pedro Sula...
Level Contributor
41 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days do I need in the Copan area

That's a very interesting experience going around the world!

The main attraction of Omoa is an old Spanish fort very well kept. Beaches are not good, so you can see the fort and eat good seafood then head to another place. In conclusion, Omoa is good only for a day trip.

If you're looking for beaches, I would suggest Tela, white sand beaches, and a great ecological reserve. Probably some of the best mainland beaches in central america (second to trujillo, also in Honduras :-D ).

Bay islands Is simply spectacular, and for your Budget, Utila is the place to go.

We have so many places, that you can fill up a week and not be enough, but you'll get to know some great places in our country.

So your itinerary of Beaches, then Copan, then Antigua is pretty good.

Hacienda San Lucas unfortunately won't meet your budget for a stay in Copan, it's the best place in Copan, but $$$. you can find several B&B's for that budget, Don udo's, Luna Jaguar, yat B'alam and La Casa de Cafe are nice hotels, check the rates.

Dining experience in Copan..San Lucas, it's worth every penny.

La Terraza, La casa de Todo are solid recommendations to eat, so is Jim's Pizza; for local grill taste, go to Asados copan.

Twisted tanya's is a very nice bar and serves local brew.

Spa is a bit far off town, so you'll need one full day to cover the Spa and Macaw Mountain (an awesome bird refuge). You'll enjoy/love them both.

And of course the Archeological site experience!

Then, by bus, you can travel directly from Copan Ruins to Antigua.

Depending on the time of year you visit Copan, A/C rooms are a plus!

Hope this has been helpful.

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days do I need in the Copan area

Depends from where you are entering Honduras. I would suggest

Tela - beaches

Omoa - Spanish Fort

PANACAM near Lake Yojoa - If you like nature hiking

Copan Ruins - 2-3 days

Have fun and great experience

travelinghonduras.com

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
372 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days do I need in the Copan area

Best Place to say in Tela ... Maya Vista, amazing views from up high and great restaurant, French Canadian Owners. Good rates.

In Omoa I recommend Rolis Place, Swiss owned and backpacker budget friendly.

In La Ceiba I recommend, Omega Lodge on the Cangrejal River, lovely spot, great food, very backpacker friendly.

In Utiila you cant go wrong, its all backpacker friendly and very funky.

B&B's in Copan may offer discounts depending on dates, best are Yat Balam, La Casa de Cafe & Don Udos.

A swing by Lake Yojoa is a good idea, the place here (backpacker friendly of course) is D&D Brewery, contact Robert - great guy.

7. Re: How many days do I need in the Copan area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2013, 07:15