We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Copan

Which Copan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
47 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Copan

I'll be going with 5 college students and another leader back to Honduras for a short mission trip in January. We'll be renting a van and driving so we can get to our work site a couple of days after we arrive. I"m used to driving in Honduras, but never drove to Copan. Where can I get a good old fashioned paper map with the route clearly marked from SPS to Copan before I go?. I don't want to depend on the Avis map or hunting around the terminal with anxious college students. We get in about 1 and want to get to Copan before dark.

Also, what is the status of police/army check points along the way? I've been told to expect 2-3 on the trip.

Thanks in advance.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Copan

just did this last week. the most basic online or car rental map will be fine, you're literally on one road for 60% of the trip then you make one (well marked) turn at copan de rosas to get onto the road that takes you the rest of the way. it only took us 3 hours. we went through 2 check points and were waved through both of them, without being stopped.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Copan

If anyone in your group is prone to motion sickness, you might recommend dramamine to them before you set out; the last 1/2 hour or so is especially curvy. Happy trails!

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Copan

If you got a Garmin GPS, Iphone or Android I could suggest some links for a GPS map but its pretty much straight forward.

Have fun,

MO
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Copan

Having a map of SPS will be the more useful map. Once you're out of the city there are only 2 turns and they are well marked. I have no idea what divenuts is talking about turning at copan de rosas??? Just south of SPS take a right and in the middle of La Entrada take another right. Very easy drive.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Copan

yes my mistake the right turn for copan ruinas was in la entrada, sorry. there is a sign.

Edited: 25 October 2012, 13:55
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
363 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Copan

Driving Directions

San Pedro Sula - Copan Ruinas

From San Pedro Sula Airport

Upon leaving the airport you will bear to the right when the airport access road meets the main boulevard.

Continue down this boulevard as you head towards San Pedro Sula.

You will pass Megaplaza and Diunsa , both large shopping Centers on your right. Continue straight.

As you head into downtown, you will pass the cathedral on your left and the Gran Hotel Sula on your right. Continue on straight.

On your right you will pass the stadium, continue on.

After the stadium you will come to a traffic circle, at the circle you will bear to your left and head down the blvd, on your right you will pass Applebees and then Burger King, continue on.

On your right you will pass City Mall, a large mall. Just after City Mall, is a Texaco, here you will bear to your right.

Continue on, you will pass the Hotel Copantl on your right, continue on.

After 5 mins you will come to the toll booth, pay toll, Lps 6.

Just after the toll booth you will bear to your right, this is the road to La Entrada.

Continue on for 1.5 hrs to La Entrada.

Once in La Entrada you will bear to your right, there should be a sign for Copan Ruinas, you will see Hotel San Carlos, this is where you will bear to the right.

Contine 1 hr to Copan Ruinas.

Arriving Copan Ruinas

Head into town, crossing the old stone bridge, you will pass Hotel Paty on your right, continue up the hill 1 block to Hotel Acropolis, make a left, continue 1 block to Central Park.

You will more than likely be stopped 2 - 3 times at least on the way by police who simply check car papers and you can continue on - very simple and straighforward and not at all stressful.

La Ceiba...
Level Contributor
157 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Copan

Good day!

The trip is pretty straight forward and the hardest part is getting out of San Pedro Sula. My advise is to leave the airport and head towards San Pedro Sula. A couple of miles out of the airport, (3 kilometers more or less) you will see a toll both on the opposite side of the road, take the first left after this toll booth and then simply follow the road. This is a loop around the city to avoid the city traffic and you will save yourself anywhere between 20 minutes and an hour, depending on the time. You will eventually come to an overpass and you will want to follow the signs towards Tegucigalpa, which is clearly marked. As soon as you pass the toll booth exiting the city (charge is 6 lempiras for a car) you will see a clearly marked detour on the road indicating the road to Occidente and Santa Rosa de Copan. From this point it is 104 kilometers, (about 62 miles) to the town of la Entrada de Copan, here there is a junction on the road, if you go staight you will end up at Santa Rosa de Copan which is the capital of the department of Copan, make sure you follow the sign to Copan Ruinas and take the right junction. From there it is 60 Km. to Copan Ruinas, that should take you around one hour to traverse. All in all, it should take you less than 3 hours from the airport to Copan Ruinas.

A couple of tips: There are several large potholes on the road., so keep your speed under 100 km/h <if there are police or army checkpoints, they usually like to see who is in the car, if your rent a car has tinted windows, lower your driver window so that they can see, usually they will wave you through if they see you are a tourist.

Any map from the rental car agencies will get you to Copan Ruinas once you are on the road.

8. Re: Driving to Copan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 10:18