We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copan to San Pedro Sula clarification please

California
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
305 reviews
Save Topic
Copan to San Pedro Sula clarification please

I have found the Hedman site that states there are two busses that leave Copan to San Pedro Sula twice daily. But they do not say what time they arrive.

How long is the ride? I am assuming about 3 hrs max.

Does it go to the airport or does it go to a station in town? We need to get to the airport to get to Utila and I believe the flight is at 3 pm Saturdays only.

Do they give out blankets or do we need to bring warm clothes for the AC that I always hear is on HIGH?

One last question. This will be first week of December and wondering if we can wait to book in Copan rather than book online. Ideas?

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Copan to San Pedro Sula clarification please

Besides Hedman Alas folks also take local shuttles out to the highway where a constant stream of buses of all classes come by. No need to book any in advance. Buses go downtown/market area. Hedman is a bit off from the others. Immediately grab a taxi to the airport. Don't try and look around. Don't stop for food. Just get out of town.

California
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Copan to San Pedro Sula clarification please

Appreciate. I had seen another post where the Hedman went from the airport so that is why I was questioning that because it sure would be easier and safer to be bussed right to the airport.

Are you saying that shuttles in Copan take people out to the highway and drop off there? That makes me a bit queasy as safety is a concern and we will have two backpacks and a bag (dive equipment) for Utila. I would not want to get on a chicken bus as I have been on them where they have broken down, and slowness will make me nervous about missing flight. I also assume that getting to the airport 30 min before take off ought not to be a problem? In Belize we could show up 5 min before and get on but these were small airplanes and I do not know about the ones going from sap to utila. I agree; will not make reservations, etc. till we are at Copan.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Copan to San Pedro Sula clarification please

there is a herman alas bus station in copan.

there are no blankets on the buses.

its a ten minute taxi ride from san pedro sula airport to the hedman alas bus station, but they do run occasional shuttles. there is a hedman alas office at the airport, just check with them re. if you need to take a taxi or if they have a shuttle soon.

san pedro sula to copan is 3.5 hrs on hedman alas.

you need to book your flight from san pedro sula to utila in advance, i suggest you use alice hill at world wide travel on utila to do that.

forget the advice in the above posting, it makes no sense.

have a great time. in copan i highly recommend staying at a great b and b called casa de cafe (around $45 including a huge breakfast) or for a splurge stay at hacienda san lucas. even if you don't stay at hacienda eat dinner there, its the best honduran restaurant in the country (reservations required).

have a great time, honduras is a beautiful country and utila and copan are delightful.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Copan to San Pedro Sula clarification please

Ha, divenuts - I just recommended the same lodgings in Copán in a pm to the OP. My grandfather would have said, "Brilliant minds run in the same circles". ;-)

The Hedman Alas airport shuttles are actually just their regular (very comfortable) buses; you can purchase the ticket for both but will stop at the station and likely switch buses. If you are prone to car sickness, consider dramamine as the 1st 45 minutes or so out of Copán is curvy. I'd figure 3.5 hours for Hedman Alas but more for any nonexpress bus, plus half an hour or more onto SAP since there may be some wait time. As above, taxis work, too, for that part.

Let me know if you decide to consider a private driver.

I wouldn't consider cutting your airport arrival that close, in part because your arrival bus/shuttle might take longer than expected and partly because sometimes the flights are overbooked; if you're the last to arrive you might be out of luck. Several times over the years we've actually had flights leave earlier than scheduled because, although that has been balanced out with delays or unannounced stops. When I confirmed my Belize Municipal to Punta Gorda flight last summer over the phone (from my shuttle from western Belize) I was asked to get there at least 15 minutes ahead. For SAP I've typically been quoted 2 hours, though that extra waiting doesn't sound very appealing. I haven't flown to/within Honduras for 2 years, though.

Happy trails!

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
771 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Copan to San Pedro Sula clarification please

If the flight is at 3, you might have to leave Copan Ruinas the day before, use another bus company or hire a driver.

The first Hedman Alas bus is at 11 am, and arrives in San Pedro Sula between 2 and 2:30.

Casasola Express has buses leaving at 5, 6 and 7 am. It's an option. Most of its buses are good, but it's not nearly as fast or comfortable as Hedman Alas.

Hope this helps.

Portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Copan to San Pedro Sula clarification please

Several of you are talking about using a private driver between san pedro sula and copan. What sort of price would that cost - two passengers and luggage? And the same between San Pedro sula and Bonito Parc.Thanks L.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Copan to San Pedro Sula clarification please

I had a great experience with a private driver named Miguel Martel 504-962-00372 (dial 011 first if calling from the US). I've read his email address is andresik04@hotmail.com , though I haven't used it. You could contact him an ask for a price.

Happy trails!

California
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Copan to San Pedro Sula clarification please

All great advice and thanks!! Now I am in need of a good think. I do not want to be on edge for 3.5 hours wondering if we will make the 3:00 flight to Utila so if Hedman leaves only at 11 we will not take it. But I do not want to leave a day early from Copan and spend a night in San Pedro Sula. This really bums me out.

As for the Casasola buses, I am ok with being a bit uncomfortable depending upon the amount of time. Do you know approx how much longer this bus takes to get to San Pedro Sula?

I may e-mail Hopefullist private driver suggestion but I would think it is going to be quite a price considering the length of the ride. :(

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Copan to San Pedro Sula clarification please

Hedman Alas isn't cheap, though. The difference in cost may not seem that significant given the overall cost of your trip, the ability to pick your own schedule, stop enroute, and avoid the bus wait and change in San Pedro Sula. I don't splash out like that all that often but, when I do, I'm almost always glad I did.

California
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Copan to San Pedro Sula clarification please

I e-mailed Miguel but have yet to hear back. I will wait a few days and then give a call. In the meantime when I get a chance I will check out the other bus if it is available online. We took a taxi in Belize City all the way to Hopkins and we did not regret the higher price as it turned out well worth it!