We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from San Pedro Sula to Copan Ruinas in Honduras

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from San Pedro Sula to Copan Ruinas in Honduras

I'll be traveling from San Pedro Sula to Copan in early January. I recently found two names of drivers from a Trip Advisor forum. Miguel Raymundo and Juan Paz were both recommended. I was wondering if anyone has used them recently. What is a fair rate for the ride each way and what is the safest way to make payment?

I also hope to find a guide for a tour of the ruins. Both of the drivers above have offered to arrange a tour. What is the going rate for a 2 hour tour?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from San Pedro Sula to Copan Ruinas in Honduras

Hedman Alas has very comfortable buses that do that route. That would be my recommendation. Saves you money too. As to guides at Copan... you can hire a guide at the ruins...either private or a group tour. Nice to keep the money going to a local. Gotta admit I haven't used one, but Mayan history is one of my fields. Been to Copan eight times. The ruins are small and a good guide book can do the job.

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
794 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from San Pedro Sula to Copan Ruinas in Honduras

I'd second the recommendation that you consider Hedman Alas bus service from San Pedro Sula to Copan, unless you have a specific reason for wanting a driver. It's a super-secure, comfortable bus service with some service from the airport and a terminal about 30 minutes away from the airport. Buses currently leave for Copan at 10:20 am and 3 pm. (They even have business class seats.)

We used a guide named Saul at the ruins, His number in Copan is 9994 1655. He's knowledgeable, speaks great English and very pleasant.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from San Pedro Sula to Copan Ruinas in Honduras

I'd definitely recommend using one of the guides at the site & don't miss the sculpture museum at the site. Hedman alas also gets my recommendation. For a great b&b in town at a reasonable price i like Casa de cafe a lot , the breakfasts are great. Or if you want to plurge a bit hacienda San Lucas has a great atmosphere and the food is the best in copan. Have a great trip Honduras is beautiful. Guides are in the $35-40 range.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 01:14
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from San Pedro Sula to Copan Ruinas in Honduras

Thanks. I looked on the Hedman Alas website and found a good fare going to Copan but they do not have a bus that will get me back to San Pedro Sula in time for my outbound flight back to the US. I need to be at the airport by 11:30 a.m. so I'll need to depart Copan by 7:30 a.m. or so. I will need to hire a car for the return trip. Does anyone have advice on a safe way to pay for the car reservation? I am thinking about using Miguel Raymundo about whom I read in a Trip Advisor post.

Thanks for your help.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from San Pedro Sula to Copan Ruinas in Honduras

any decent hotel/b&b in copan can arrange a driver to get you to sap for a fair price . let them do the work

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from San Pedro Sula to Copan Ruinas in Honduras

Of course! Thanks.

St. Albert, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from San Pedro Sula to Copan Ruinas in Honduras

My husband and I will be traveling to Honduras just after Xmas and have 14 days available to us. How many days should we stay in Copan area? Can we take a trip to Tikal from here? Where else should we go in Honduras and area? What is the best way to travel from town to town?

St. Albert, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from San Pedro Sula to Copan Ruinas in Honduras

My husband and I will be traveling to Honduras just after Xmas and have 14 days available to us. How many days should we stay in Copan area? Can we take a trip to Tikal from here? Where else should we go in Honduras and area? What is the best way to travel from town to town?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from San Pedro Sula to Copan Ruinas in Honduras

hedman alas bus company is a great way to see honduras (they even go across the border to guatemala city and antigua, guatemala but not to tikal). the buses are express, safe and very comfortable.

my perfect 14 days in honduras would be 7 nights on one of the bay islands (utila, roatan)for diving/snorkeling/beach time. then take the ferry (1 hr) to la ceiba for 2-3 nights in pico bonito (white water rafting, hiking the jungle/cloud forest) bus to copan (6.5 hrs) for 3-4 nights exploring the ruins, the cute town and the surrounding countryside.

if your not into the jungle, skip pico bonito and then go from copan (by hedman alas bus) to antigua for 2-3 nights?

Edited: 27 September 2013, 17:03
St. Albert, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from San Pedro Sula to Copan Ruinas in Honduras

Thanks for the quick reply! I am booking my flight today. Do you think that we should fly into Tegucigalpa or San Pedro Sula to make this round trip? We like more of the "off the beaten track" type travel - would you recommend Utila or Roatan in that case? I think that I will reverse the order and end up on the beach for the end of the trip! Love hiking and adventure so pico bonito sounds like a perfect stay. Thanks again!