We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is La Ceiba?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is La Ceiba?

We would like to rent a car and drive everywhere. We have done this in Mexico with no problems at all. How safe is it in Honduras to drive around during the daylight and early evening? I have heard there are problems with gangs and people being robed. Is this common? We are traveling with our young son. We will be staying at Palma Real Resort but want to spend most of our time on the go.

Thanks in advance for any replies : )

Cheers,

Starfish

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is La Ceiba?

Hi Starfish,

I just got back from Ceiba 2 days ago. I've been there several times before with my husband and kids and we've had no problem driving around. Just be careful and drive DEFENSIVELY.

On this last trip I went with a friend and was wondering if we'd have any problems - - 2 gringas on our own. It was great. We were careful, as we would be in any city - - but basically, very easy.

My one caveat is with the entire car rental process in Honduras. you may want to make more than one reservation. Our experience is that we have often heard the, "no more cars, sorry" or "all the cars are broken" which leads to mucho frustration.

In Ceiba we have been most successful w/ the Toyota Rent-a-Car and the Advance Rental-Car.

My kids love La Ceiba - - have a good trip!

Tennessee
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is La Ceiba?

I found it much easier to use the taxi's when not traveling with my friends that live in la ceiba. The people there drive much more agressive than here in the states. As far as being save, I found the people of la ceiba to be very nice and helpful. Be careful after dark.

My visit was in May of 2005 to catch the carnival and the rooster fights. I will be going again this May. I stay at Hotel Iberia so that I can have a front row seat to the parade.

Wade

vancouver
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is La Ceiba?

its not safe at all , was there in January I was so glad to get out of there and on to Roatan Packs of men like animals there!!

Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is La Ceiba?

Go to the Hotel Paris, and ask for Don~a Merris,

She will acomodate you in great service,I have a home in Ceiba and rent from her everytimeI go. Just returned 2 weeks ago

After 20 years or so I have a handle on things.

David

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is La Ceiba?

Its safe to drive around.. especially if your comfortable having done it before in Mexico. Driven through Ceiba at night... had no problems... i travel often to Guatemala via road....never had any problems at Copan...or the borders... no problem...

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is La Ceiba?

I've been in and around virtually every part of La Ceiba and its surrondings since my first trip there in 1998 and have found the town generally to be quite safe.

As with any third world destination you do have to use common sense travel practices.

La Ceiba in particular has very very inexpensive taxis and it is highly recommended that you travel by taxi around town and night.

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

7. Re: How safe is La Ceiba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 05:30