We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Cieba Orphanage @ Palma Real Resort

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Topic
La Cieba Orphanage @ Palma Real Resort

For anyone going to Palma Real in La Cieba there is a orphanage just down the beach, ROC Mintistry, from the resort about 500 Meters. It is run by Rev Leonard and Marie Jones, AKA Papa and Mama Jones from Texas. For the past 4 years they have been living in Honduras working to estabolish a working orphange. Right now they have 17 kids that they care for and are doing fantastic work in Honduras. They are very nice people and welcome any and all visitors to their home. If anyone has some extra space in their luggage and would like to take down some things for the orphans it is a great feeling to visit and feel the love from the Jone's family and from the kids. Below is a link to thier website with a wish list for items.... most of the kids are around the ages 3-5.

http://www.casaderoc.org/wishlist.html

When speaking with Papa last week he said that they needed some bibs....so if someone has a chance to grab 10 or so bibs and take them with you that would be a nice gift. Or email the orphange and see if the need anything.

http://www.casaderoc.org/contactus.html

At the end of our trip all the sanitizer or soaps or supplies that we didn't need we left with the orphangae. If tourists can do this each week, maybe we can help them, help more kids.

Mentioned in this post
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
London, Ontario
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: La Cieba Orphanage @ Palma Real Resort

bump

calgary, alberta
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: La Cieba Orphanage @ Palma Real Resort

Grabbed 10 bibs today!!! Can't wait to meet all the kids!!!!

calgary, alberta
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: La Cieba Orphanage @ Palma Real Resort

Grabbed 10 bibs today!!1 Can't wait to meet the kids!

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: La Cieba Orphanage @ Palma Real Resort

Have fun.... they are great people and the kids are so incredable. I have 2 kids and have my hands full...wait till you see them taking care of 17.... and they are all so well taken care of and loved.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: La Cieba Orphanage @ Palma Real Resort

bump

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: La Cieba Orphanage @ Palma Real Resort

Anyone have any stoies from visiting the orphanage????? We had a great time.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Cieba Orphanage @ Palma Real Resort

We took down a suitcase full of various items for the orphanage back in February. Don’t get me wrong...it was a wonderful experience visiting and Papa & mama Jones do a fantastic job of looking after these children. HOWEVER...when we were walking to the orphanage we came across a group of local children (boys) crab fishing… that clearly have NOTHING!!!. I ended up giving the orphanage very little and handing my gifts out to the local children. The orphanage has tourists visiting everyday and from the looks around the place, they weren’t in dire need. Children are well dress (closet was full of color coded clothing still with the tags on), lots of learning tool etc (you get my point) Lets not forget the children of Honduras that dont have the safety & comforts of the orphanage. Give a little to the locals too! Also would like to mention….If you happen to go on the snorkeling trip to Cayos Cochinos bring some small gifts for the children over there (lots of them-kids that is…ages 1 to 12). I happened to spot a little boy (no more than 5 years old) gutting a fish with a huge machete…I walked over to him and handed him a candy bracelet I picked up at the dollar store and he was delighted. I handed out small things to all the kids & you can tell are very appreciative. Be careful because you will be swarmed..but well worth it. The ended up forming a line and waited patiently for a small token from me (PRICELESS) That day was unforgettable and the highlight of my trip!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Cayos Cochinos
Cayos Cochinos
328 Reviews
La Ceiba, Honduras
8. Re: La Cieba Orphanage @ Palma Real Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 17:20
Get answers to your questions about La Ceiba
Recent Conversations