We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for maids/local children

Which La Ceiba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts for maids/local children

Was just wondering if we should bring gifts for maids and local children. If so, what?

We have travelled to Dominican and were told that the maids were not to accept gifts without a note from the room, so that others didn't think she was stealing from the room. Is this the same in Honduras?

What would local children be thrilled with?

D in Muskoka.

I'm asking because I don't want to take anything for granted and upset the apple cart.

Canada
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts for maids/local children

My daughter is leaving this week for Honduras with a team of 14 other students from her high school; the "gifts" they have been advised to take for the children are: small toys (dollar store is great so that you can take LOTS), candy, shoes and backpacks (they can't attend school without them), pencils/pens, notebooks, clothes, personal hygiene items.

I suppose it may also depend on where in Honduras you are going, but hope that helps!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts for maids/local children

There's nothing wrong with taking gifts for the children, but dental care probably isn't great, so I wouldn't do candy.

Also, although I've not been to Honduras, I've always been told that it's best to leave the treats with the schools or some other similar place. Otherwise it can lead to a culture of begging children.

Also, stickers can get to be a real mess, the kids stick them everywhere.....

Canada
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts for maids/local children

Agreed, but I thought that you were leaving them with the maid? I guess that I misunderstood.

My daughter is with a group who will be working at the school, feeding centre, and orphanage so their gifts are being distributed in a controlled environment.

I am sure that if you ask around, there would be a similar place who would be more than happy to accept whatever you had to offer.

4. Re: Gifts for maids/local children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 09:16