We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islena airline reliability

Which La Ceiba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Forest Hills, NY
6 posts
Save Topic
Islena airline reliability

Hi,

My daughter is visiting La Ceiba in June. She'll fly from La Ceiba to San Pedro Sula to catch her flight home. Continental says she must be at the SAP airport two hours before her flight.

She has two Islena airline options to get to SAP -- one scheduled to arrive 2.5 hours before her SAP departure, or one at 6 am that gives her a 5.5 hour layover.

I've read that local airlines will cancel flights and delay departures until they sell all the seats. Is this true? Is it prudent to choose the 2.5 layover?

Is SOSA more reliable? I can't find any on-line performance data for these airlines.

Thanks!

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
367 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Islena airline reliability

Hopefully, someone else can weigh in on this one, but I can never resist putting my two cents in...lol.

I wouldn't be comfortable only giving myself a half hour window for whatever might come along. (I tend to be way too cautious though, so take this with a grain of salt.) San Pedro Sula's airport is by no means an exotic destination, but if she can convince security to allow her out into the main concourse, there are restaurants, internet kiosks and gift shops where she could kill some time. She just needs to be sure to keep not only her passport and ticket documents on her, but if she pays the "exit tax" in La Ceiba, she should also keep with her the receipt showing that she has already paid or she may have to pay it a second time. And, as always, leave more than enough time to get back through security before her flight.

JMHO,

ee

Forest Hills, NY
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Islena airline reliability

Thanks for your reply, ee. I'm really on the fence about this, particularly without any data on on-time performance.

I was wondering if you know what time she should get to the La Ceiba airport? An hour ahead, 45 minutes?

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
367 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Islena airline reliability

I'm thinking that an hour should be fine if she's already purchased her ticket, but I'll get back to you toward the end of May. We'll be flying in and out of Ceiba in the next few weeks, so I'll pay attention to the situations and give you some feedback then. We fly Taca, so it may be different for her, but probably not all that much.

ee

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Islena airline reliability

Islena is pretty good about its flights.. i think better than SOSA. I think the cancellations or delays are more due to the weather than anything. I'll fly Islena before i fly SOSA....for sure.

To play it safe... i would just take the earlier flight...

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
367 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Islena airline reliability

Just having come through San Pedro Sula yesterday, I thought I should mention that much of the main concourse area is under construction and it looks like not as many of the places to eat/shop are open now. It was hard to tell from where we were inside the security gates, but it doesn't look much like how we saw it last.

ee

Ottawa
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Islena airline reliability

Still? Hehe things move slow in Honduras, was like that in November!

Cancellations as said are usually due to weather, not capacity. I've flown the route several times with near empty planes. I have had flights cancelled twice SAP-LCE due to weather. Small planes fly by sight, so if its raining or cloud cover on either end, they wont fly. Chances of that in June are slim. I would be cautious and take the earlier flight. One advantage to choosing the earlier is that if its a no fly, it MAY be possible to grab a bus or hire a driver fast to take you, depending on what time you get to the airport and they decide they are not gonna fly. One hour ahead would be fine.

On the other hand, I have done the 2½ hr thing, and not had a problem either. Despite being an international flight, its not a big airport, and things usually move fast. Except construction :)

D

7. Re: Islena airline reliability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2009, 07:22