We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to area

Bonnyville, Canada
Level Contributor
644 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
New to area

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, we are coming for two weeks in April, spending a week in a rental home located near Balfate then a week on Roatan.

I am beginning to second guess this as it seems like there may be nothing for us to do on the mainland! We do want to just chill for a few days but want a bit of action!

Is there any beach clubs we could hang out at for the day? Any must do day trips we could do to fill the time? Would love to see some ruins but how far are they?

Thank you in advance for any info I can get!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to area

mmmm... i think you might be right to second guess. i think the islands are really the only place to hang out on the beach in honduras, blue water and colorful coral reefs.

balfate should be nice and quiet but i've never enjoyed the mainland beaches, they tend to be dirty and the water somewhat murky from the runoff coming down from the mountains (no coral).

sambo creek nearby is ok and you can visit the garafuna or take a day trip from there to the cayos . you could also head up to pico bonito for some jungle/cloud forest hiking around omega or pico bonito lodge's but it would be nicer if you could stay up there at one of the lodges for a night or two.

for me the nicest part of the mainland is the ruins in copan and the mountains and highlands.

if i had a week on the mainland i'd spend two nights up at omega lodge and the rest of the time at copan, preferably at hacienda san lucas my favorite hotel in honduras.

2. Re: New to area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:17