We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in LaCeiba?

Hawley, Minnesota
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in LaCeiba?

If we were to take the ferry from Roatan to La Ceiba just for the day, what is there to do on La Ceiba? Anything interesing within waking distance from where the ferry docks, or would it be necessary to get a taxi to get anywhere? We will be in Roatan for 1 week and was considering a trip to the mainland for a day.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Atlantida Department, Honduras
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in LaCeiba?

Honestly I'm not overfond of the city of La Ceiba itself, but check out the day trip and 1/2 day offerings here - rafting, kayaking, horses, mt. bikes, hiking, waterfalls:

www.omegatours.info

They'd provide the shuttle from the dock and back; might be a charge 1 way, can't remember that part. Happy trails!

Mentioned in this post
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in LaCeiba?

I agree, leaving Roatan to visit la ceiba town for a day is not a good idea.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in LaCeiba?

Wouldnt do it, not much to do in such a short time

have fun

4. Re: What to do in LaCeiba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 February 2013, 20:35
La Ceiba...
Level Contributor
159 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in LaCeiba?

There is no interesting spot near the ferry dock, but there are several options that you could take advantage of in the short time you would be in La Ceiba. La Ceiba is considered a Nature and Adventure destination, and although the city itself might not be interesting for a day tour, the trip can be a nice complement to Roatan. Probably the best options are around the Cangrejal River Valley. This is a short 35 minute taxi ride from the ferry. (the road was a disaster but they are working on it as I'm writing)

Omega Tours offers several options, including white water rafting, horse back riding and hiking. La Moskitia Ecoaventuras also offers the white water rafting and hiking the Pico Bonito National Park trails. Another option would be the Cacao Lagoon, also within 25 minutes from the ferry dock. You can enjoy mangrove canals, see Monkeys and many birds while kayaking in the lagoon and its canals. Both Omega and La Moskitia offer tours to the Cacao Lagoon.

I definitely recommend visiting La Ceiba for at least a day tour. It will show you a window of what Honduras Is all about and you will truly enjoy yourselves.

Another

Mentioned in this post
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Omega Tours
Omega Tours
120 Reviews
La Ceiba, Honduras
Pico Bonito National Park
Pico Bonito National Park
18 Reviews
Pico Bonito, Honduras
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in LaCeiba?

LaCeiba is not what it used to be. I went there last year with my wife, who is from Honduras and she was well disappointed. Playa Coca cola is quite dirty and the town is scruffy and dangerous.

Just be careful when visiting mainland Honduras.

Bon voyage!

Mentioned in this post
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
7. Re: What to do in LaCeiba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about La Ceiba
Recent Conversations