We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging money in SAP

Illinois
Level Contributor
47 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging money in SAP

I'll be landing in SAP enroute to a small village in Cortes later this week for an eight day mission trip. From what I've been told, the "best" way to exchange your money is with the guys standing on the street corner outside the airport. Supposedly they are all licensed by the government and all charge the same rate, Up until a few weeks ago, the lempira was fixed against the dollar, but now I understand they have cut it loose and it floats.

Does anyone know what a good exchange rate is and the best way to go about this before I leave their airport?.

Unfortunately, where I'll be staying does not have an ATM and the nearest bank is not open at reliable times. Most of the stores and sodas are little mom and pop affairs and either don't want to or won't take credti cards. Others who have gone on similar trips say cash is about your only alternative. So it looks like I'm stuck exchanging dollars for lempira and visa versa on the way back. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging money in SAP

the guys in the airport are fine, there are lots of them in the lobby of the airport waving money around. you should get about 18.80 lmps per dollar. just make sure your dollars are new/in good condition, no torn or damaged notes will be excepted anywhere. i once bought a bunch of $100 bills with me, several were torn and i couldn't change them and no bank or store would except them.

honduras is a totally cash society (except high end hotels) but dollars are excepted at all urban places and many rural places as well.

Illinois
Level Contributor
47 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging money in SAP

Thanks. That's exactly what I need to know.

Allen

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging money in SAP

You can change dollars with the guys in the airport... or if you feel safer... you can stand in line at Bank Lafise. This bank is where all passengers must pay their exit airport tax. Sometimes the line is long, but it moves fast. Lafise will exchange dollars with no hassle.

There is also another bank, BAC, but the last time i went... they wouldnt change my dollars.

4. Re: Exchanging money in SAP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro Sula