We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Which San Pedro Sula hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Anytown
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

Just returned from 8 days in Honduras. Was an amazing trip and would highly recommend seeing the mainland and not just the islands.

Arrived in San Pedro Sula at night and our tour guide drove us to our hotel. Stopped for some food on the way at a convenience store. On the way out of San Pedro Sula we went to a local artisans' market which had some great items for sale.

No safety problems for us whatsoever (two American males). We were never threatened, took money out of an ATM,, were never tailgated, etc. SPS is definitely a little rough around the edges, but it seems that if you stay out of troublesome neighborhoods you should be okay.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 04:05
San Francisco
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

Do you have the contact info for your tour guide who picked you up from the airport? Thanks

San Pedro Sula...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Hello

I can recommend a good guide with private transport

his name is Renan Contreras

tel 504-96109256

email info@siturtravel.com

he can take them to all parts of Honduras for a reasonable price

luck a good trip

La Ceiba...
Level Contributor
157 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Dear Homely planet:

Thank your for helping get the word out! Honduras is a lovely country, yes it has its problems, but its not half as bad as the press makes it sound. I have lived in Honduras for over 20 years, been involved in the tourism industry all these years and traveled extensively throughout the country, never had any problems! As a small hotel owner in Honduras, I can say that the guests that stay with us are always happy and never feel threatened or unsafe. There are several good drivers with vehicles that can meet you at the airport and transfer you around Honduras. Really glad that you enjoyed your trip in mainland Honduras. Hope you visited La Ceiba! a true gem with lots of National Parks!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Great to see people out there touting Honduras! We've lived here two years now and I've travelled extensively through my work without problem, almost all of it on local buses. I've never encountered the dangerous, unscrupulous taxi drivers in San Pedro that I've seen warnings about, despite having hailed many a cab at the bus terminal, airport and even in the street. All the drivers have been personable, hard-working people trying to make an honest living. I'd stop short of recommending the use of rapiditos and local buses within San Pedro if you didn't have to, but the city is mostly a pretty attractive, interesting place full of regular people going about their lives. Here are the phone numbers of 3 tried and true taxi drivers in SPS, all of them pleasant and punctual:

Rafael, 9860-7939

Jorge, 9633-4326

Francisco, 9995-7637

Indianapolis...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

Will you tell us more about the local Artisan's market you visited? We will be passing though and would love to do a little shopping.

Indianapolis...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

Will you tell us more about the local Artisan's market you visited? We will be passing though and would love to do a little shopping.

7. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro Sula
Recent Conversations