We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

backpacking/driving through Honduras

New Brunswick...
4 posts
Save Topic
backpacking/driving through Honduras

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Honduras in February, 2010. Last year we were in Cuba and drove through the country and stayed at various casa particulares (B&B's). We thought that was a wonderful way to experience the real Cuba and would like to do the same in Honduras. Is it possible and safe to drive or hitchhike through the country and then find cheap places to stay at the last minute?

Greenbush, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
46 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: backpacking/driving through Honduras

Traveling through mainland Honduras is certainly possible but will be more complicated than traveling Cuba. Last minute accomodations are typically available, esp away from tourist areas. There are many cities I would avoid at night and you can read about this further by searchig this forum.

I've only traveled coastal areas and Bay Islands but never had any problems. Hondurans are friendly and willing to help out provided you have the necessary spanish to communicate. It is a beautiful country and a wonderful place to travel. The Bay Islands and coastal towns such as LaCieba are quite safe (take normal urban precautions on the mainland)

Unfortunately, your trip might be further complicated by the current stalemate of the political process. Today ( Aug 28), the US State Department announced there are discussion on witholding aid from Honduras to use a lever to allow Zelaya back into the country.

If you have traveled in other 3rd world countries during times of political unrest; you are a savvy traveler and should have a nice journey.

New Brunswick...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: backpacking/driving through Honduras

Thanks for the advice. I do speak some spanish which has helped us out greatly in the past. I was worried the US would do something like that and we are watching the situation closely. We do plan to spend a week in Roatan to go diving but we are affraid that if we stick to the islands and resort life that we won't get a true taste of the country. Do you recommend any specific areas to go that are not along the coast or is this the best place to visit?

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: backpacking/driving through Honduras

Hitchhiking is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. THere is an extensive bus system, that is much safer around the cities. When you are in the countryside hitchhiking is safer. Driving is easy enough if you have the money to rent a car.

For experiences away from the north coast, I strongly recommend visiting Copan and the Mayan ruins there, as well as Gracias, and the little Lencan villages and Mt. Celaque nearby. Look at the website www.colosuca.com for info on the Gracias area.

Going to the Mosquitia is fantastic for travelers who like to get off the beaten path. Check out the website larutamoskitia.com - they have very good packages that include all kinds of experiences like inner tubing on the river, crocodile spotting, hiking, and the whole thing is very authentic, not like a normal package tour (it's more that you essentially pay a fee to have someone make the arrangements in advance, which is a huge advantage), but they also have advice for those who would rather just show up and then decide what they want to do.

Of course the Bay Islands and the North Coast are great too, I really like Punta Sal near Tela, and Pico Bonito, as well as the Bay Islands. Try Cayos Cochinos for a more off-beat experience, you can stay in cottages on the islands for dirt cheap. Go to Nueva Armenia on the north coast and you can make arrangements there.

At Pico Bonito, take a look at the website www.cangrejal.com. the Cabanas el Bosque are a great set of community-run cabins, and Guaruma offers trail guides if you want to get off the main trails. Enjoy!

New Brunswick...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: backpacking/driving through Honduras

thanks so much for all the info. One more question. Any idea how much it would cost for a bus or taxi from San Pedro Sula Airport to the ferry in La cieba?

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: backpacking/driving through Honduras

Hedman Alas is the only bus company that offers service at the airport, and it is a good company. They have a website, and I think you should be able to check the fares there.

london
Level Contributor
237 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: backpacking/driving through Honduras

What time do you arrive into SPS?

There are some great b and bs offering pick up and drop of at busses or airport.

www.copanconnections.com can give you emails and phone numbers for these.

7. Re: backpacking/driving through Honduras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Tegucigalpa