We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth it?

Lacey
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth it?

Thought about going somewhere different. Is Tegucigalpa worth visiting from the U.S?

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth it?

Tegu isn't worth visiting from Comayagüa which is just across the river from it.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth it?

probably not but taking a bus to the mayan ruins at copan for a couple of days is highly recommended. or take an internal flight to the caribbean islands of utila or roatan, very nice.

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth it?

Honduras is worth it, but I would get out of Tegus as fast as possible.

LOL #1 - neither is Comayagua worth visitng from Tegus. They are as bad as each other : )

TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth it?

Hmm. Comayagua is about 1 1/2 hours by road from Tegucigalpa. Comayaguela is across the river.

Honduras has some beautiful places to visit - the Bay Islands, specially Roatan, Copan Ruinas (Mayan ruins) - and other places that adventurous travelers would enjoy like La Ceiba, Trujillo, a jungle ride down the Segovia river, etc. If you like comfort, don't come here.

minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth it?

It depends on what you're looking for. I have been to Tegus multiple times and find the people to be friendly although the city itself is quite dangerous and is not the prettiest place you will find. There are some nice areas and if you're the adventurous type you may actually enjoy it. If you're looking for 4-5 star luxury you would best be served looking elsewhere. If you need any specifics feel free to email me and I will try to help you out.

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth it?

Dangerous isn't a real factor unless you hangout around the market. Got sent there first in second half of 79 and on a semi-regular basis every few months to clean up the stadium mess... which no one listened to. Sunday in Tegu. At the time probably the only capitol city that didn't publish a Sunday paper. Even today not much happening. Fortunately, with most tourist routes you can skip it.

minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth it?

Ok, the market in Tegus IS dangerous and as a tourist you should stay away regardless of what anybody or any tour book tells you. Many of the locals won't even go to the market and I'm not just taking about the upper class. The rest of the city only offers minimal amenities for a tourist but they are they is you look around. THe food is good (if you get away from the american chains), the people are great and there are areas around Tegus that are quite nice.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth it?

I think some clarification is needed here about WHICH market in Tegucigalpa. The market in Comayaguela is totally crime-ridden, and gang members shake down shoppers for all their cash.

The farmers market next to the stadium is totally fine. Locals and expatriates shop there regularly. It is open Friday and Saturday - the produce is freshest on Friday morning naturally.

minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth it?

That's an excellent point about WHICH market as American Overseas is correct that the market near the stadium is MUCH safer than the main market. That said, you still need to watch your back at the safer market.

10. Re: Is it worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2011, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Tegucigalpa