We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens, Ga - mid March?

Iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Athens, Ga - mid March?

Hello. Myself, spouse, and two kids aged 7 and 9 will be in Athens in Mid March for a wedding. Are there any 'don't miss' things in the city? As a music fan, I'd like to visit Weaver D's because of the REM connection. Anything else this family of four could do to kill some time?

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens, Ga - mid March?

Are you interested in gardening? The Botanical Gardens on the UGA campus is supposed to be exceptional.

Roswell, GA
Level Contributor
385 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens, Ga - mid March?

You don't mention the exact dates of your visit. We're big Bulldawg fans in our family and my 10 yr daughter loves to see the Gymdawgs. Tickets are $10/adults & $6/kids and you can see championship girl gymnastic teams close-up. Only match left of the season is Friday, March 9. If that works for you, I definitely recommend purchasing tickets in advance. Too bad it's not football season. Go Dawgs! Good shopping downtown too. Some fun shops including The Junkman's Daughter. Enjoy your visit. Depending on your hotel, don't forget your swim suits for the kids.

Iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens, Ga - mid March?

Those are great ideas. We'll be there March 15-17. Our hotel has an outdoor pool so I'm sure swimming will not be a possibility. Anyone been to Weaver D's? What about the Varisity? Any local restaurants that sound interesting will appeal to us too. We are also excited about the weather. Anything above 40 degrees would be great right now.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens, Ga - mid March?

the varsity has killer chili dogs and almost as good fries and rings. order a frosted orange by all means. it cuts some of the chili dog off the pallet.

Roswell, GA
Level Contributor
385 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens, Ga - mid March?

I agree with BBQ Man. The Varsity is definitely worth visiting. Main location in downtown Atlanta across from Ga. Tech. Definitely add the onion rings and Frosted Orange (aka F.O.) to your order. Unforgetable & cheap meal.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
607 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens, Ga - mid March?

We went to The Grit last night for dinner, Micheal Stipe's vegetarian restaurant on Prince. The food was GREAT and would highly recc. it since you are an REM fan! Prices are so cheap, $6 for a huge noodle bowl and the sides are delish.

Berkeley, CA
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens, Ga - mid March?

Weaver D's is good soul food located within walking distance of downtown. The downtown area has some fun shops and plenty of great places to eat. The kids would probably enjoy walking around north campus which is adjacent to downtown. The botanical gardens are also nice for a hike down by the river or a walk through the indoor gardens.

Also, The Grit is excellent food but it is not owned by Michael Stipe as someone else suggested. His restaurant closed a couple of years ago.

8. Re: Athens, Ga - mid March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 05:26