We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Masters - how far from Augusta is it possible to stay?

london, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
The Masters - how far from Augusta is it possible to stay?

Hello,

faced with paying $400 a night for Days Inn, I am looking at alternative accomodation away from Augusta. How far would be realistic to stay on Saturday and Sunday and be able to drive in and out of Augusta each day?

Also, has anyone ever bought tickets for the tournament days gateside? Would prefer paying for something I can see, than giving money to on-line brokers with no assurance how genuine they are. But would want to make sure the tickets are available gateside since coming over all the way from the UK.

Thanks for your help in advance

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Masters - how far from Augusta is it possible to stay?

When I went to the Masters on a Saturday and Sunday for the final rounds we just drove around outside of Augusta until we found a hotel that had a room. I remember it wasnt a chain motel, but unfortunately this was so long ago I dont remember where it was at or the name of the place.

You might want to check hotels near Aiken, SC on here or maybe another smaller surrounding town....the hotels will definitely be cheaper. You should be able to find something within a 20 mile radius I'm sure.

We had our tickets in hand when we arrived so cant help you much out there...however, be prepared to pay A LOT for final round tickets....i'm talking over $1000. And there is no way Augusta is going to allow scalpers to stand right outside the front gate so you're probably going to go up and down the strip outside the gates.

Personally, I wouldnt drop a grand on a ticket that may or may not be real. How do you know if the ticket you buy from a scalper in person is real?

Mentioned in this post
Masters
Masters
126 Reviews
Augusta, GA
Aiken
Aiken
South Carolina
Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
1,261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Masters - how far from Augusta is it possible to stay?

it's an easy ride from columbia sc, or as stated above from atlanta. i'd advise lining up tickets before arriving though.

london, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Masters - how far from Augusta is it possible to stay?

Thanks for your advice. Is Atlanta too far to drive in and out of every day? Also, I know this will depend on many things, but on an average day, does anyone know what time play usually starts and finishes on the tournament days. Having only seen it on TV from the UK, it's always on late at night!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Masters - how far from Augusta is it possible to stay?

You will not want to stay in Atlanta overnight. Under normal circumstances, its 150 miles or a little over 2 hours from Atlanta to Augusta. When you go to the Masters, expect traffic jams coming off of I-20...the earlier you get there the better.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Masters
Masters
126 Reviews
Augusta, GA
Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
554 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Masters - how far from Augusta is it possible to stay?

I recommend staying in Columbia, SC. It is 70 miles from Augusta but is a straight drive on I-20 (a local freeway), so it is not bad. You will also be far enough away to avoid the jacked up prices in the Augusta area (Masters is the one time of year that Augusta hotels & restaurants have a chance to make real money; thus the ridiculous prices).

The only way you will be able to get tickets at the tournament after you get here is from scalpers. There are no gate sales at the club as the waiting list for tickets (called "badges" here) was closed to new applicants 15 years ago. Augusta National also frowns on scalping; any patron found to be reselling their badges loses all priviledges to ever buy them again. But the scalpers always manage to find some. Sometimes, folks leaving near the end of the day will give their badges away so someone can get in for an hour or so. But, if you want to make sure you will be on the course all day, you might as well fork out the bucks to a broker.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Masters
Masters
126 Reviews
Augusta, GA
Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
554 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Masters - how far from Augusta is it possible to stay?

I forgot to add: gates usually open at 8 am each day; play usually starts between 8:30 and 9:00 am. Play usually ends between 6-6:30 pm each day; everyone is hustled off the grounds by Security as soon as play ends. No cameras are allowed on the grounds during actual tournament play (only during the practice rounds on Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday). This is VERY strictly enforced; you will be searched when you enter to make sure you don't have one. I have heard of folks having their cell phones confiscated when caught taking pictures with them.

london, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Masters - how far from Augusta is it possible to stay?

Thanks for all your help. I decided it would be best to stay as close as possible for the couple of nights we're there so I splashed out, and I mean splashed out, on Jameson Suites in Augusta - it looks decent so I hope it will be ok. Staying at the Ritz Carlton on Reynolds Plantation after that for less money than the motel in Augusta. Crazy! Now all we need are the tickets!

atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Masters - how far from Augusta is it possible to stay?

You should check the surburbs, Aiken, North Augsuta, Waynesboro, Thompson, and Washington. Check out the B&B. You will only be abour 30-40 mins away if you can snag a place in any of these areas. You could look a little farther out in Columbia as well.

Mentioned in this post
Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
1,261 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Masters - how far from Augusta is it possible to stay?

the winton innn in williston sc is clean and has an excellent dining room. williston is a very small town, yet still close in to augusta

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Masters - how far from Augusta is it possible to stay?

We just booked the Marriot hotel in Columbia SC. it is an hour from Augusta.

Great rates, outstanding reviews, good location.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina