We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparison of the Hilton properties at Waikoloa?

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
566 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Comparison of the Hilton properties at Waikoloa?

I see three different options

1. Hilton at Waikoloa Villiage

2. Ocean Tower at Waikoloa Villiage

3. Kohala Suites-Hilton Grand Vacations

What are the differences between these properties? I am looking at using points, and debating between using points here or saving the points and booking a vrbo somewhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,201 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
8 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparison of the Hilton properties at Waikoloa?

The Hilton Waikoloa is a hotel. The ocean tower is just one building within that hotel's property. There are some timeshare units in that tower. Kohala Suites is a condo complex off of the Hilton grounds but within the same beach resort (Waikoloa Beach).

I would not stay at the Hilton. Kohala Suites is ok, but Kings Land is far better (also can use points).

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,201 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kings' Land by Hilton...
2,325 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparison of the Hilton properties at Waikoloa?

edit - disregard the Grand Vacation property - that isn't available via points. Might just use points for the doubletree in Hilo for a couple nights and then stay at a good vrbo

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparison of the Hilton properties at Waikoloa?

so I am having trouble finding availability at one place for the entire 8-10 nights - feb 22/23-march 3/4 - so I may split some time up in a hotel (using points) which will give me more money for a condo - shea - why do you say you wouldn't stay at the Hilton? (I know nothing about the property)

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparison of the Hilton properties at Waikoloa?

I can't answer for Shea, but I can give my own perspective. I used to do triathlons often on the BI and used to stay at the Hilton Waikoloa, specifically the Ocean Tower. The rooms are nice, and the views can be incredible, and the property is nice as well. But to go anywhere, especially in the Ocean tower, it requires walking probably 3/4 of a mile, or waiting for one of the shuttles to come around. Either way it will take you 15-20 minutes every time you want to leave or arrive to get to your room - which includes all meals because the hotel restaurants are very expensive and not that good, especially compared to nearby options. The next couple times I stayed at the Marriott, which has much better in and out access, and then most recently I have used condos, which really is the best experience by far. You have a fridge, a kitchen, you can cook some meals at home as well as grill by the pool etc, and it is easy in and out access.

Also Hilton charges for parking, I think Marriott does too, condos do not, or at least the condos I went to. Oh yeah, and then there is also a resort fee too at the hotels.

Edited: 23 September 2017, 20:39
Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
1,140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comparison of the Hilton properties at Waikoloa?

The place is enormous and no beach.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comparison of the Hilton properties at Waikoloa?

ok - ya that sucks, I don't want it to take that long to get anywhere - from google maps it doesn't necessarily look THAT big, but maybe I am not sure what building all belong to the hilton - is the ocean tower next to "Buddha point" (I sincerely apologize if that is not the Hawaiian name - I just see it marked on google maps that way)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hilton+Waikoloa+Village/@19.9258941,-155.8906108,1386m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x7954778ec6a99dc5:0x65cec723a9eaa336!8m2!3d19.924029!4d-155.887498

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Hilton Waikoloa Village
8,813 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comparison of the Hilton properties at Waikoloa?

Its the three ring tower. I just mapped it, it is only .5 miles from the back to the front, a bit more to the parking lot. Still, it seems pretty long honestly when you are doing it multiple times a day. As I said, I like the place, I did that many times, definitely not saying you can't stay there and enjoy. Just saying I now prefer to stay at a place it is easier to get out of.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Comparison of the Hilton properties at Waikoloa?

I loathe the Hilton. No beach or open ocean access, the pools are unheated and because of siting or depth or engineering or maybe all three stay consistently stay uncomfortably chilly, plus they're usually full of screaming kids. The food choices are not good and they're expensive. The hotel is twice as large as any other on the island, service is impersonal, there's really no Hawaiiana feel, as mentioned above it's long walks to everything and it's also hard to get into and out of. It's designed to get you there and keep you there. And then there are the heartbreaking slave dolphins.

Reply to: Comparison of the Hilton properties at Waikoloa?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted