We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with trip planning- October

Orange, California
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help with trip planning- October

With the help of several on this board, we booked out lodging for the big Island. 2 nights in Volcano and 5 nights at the Mauna Lani Bay resort. We'll be in Hawaii 10/26-11/3. First two nights in Volcano, the rest of the trip on the west side. I feel relatively confident of our plans on the east side but would like to plan a couple of things for the remaining 5 days. We're considering:

1. Horseback guided ride in Waipio Ridge

2. Snorkel tour boat

3. Nighttime Manta Ray

We really want to relax and enjoy the beach so we don't want to be super busy but we would like to do a couple of things and "see" the island. Any suggestions and recommendations for who to book through is greatly appreciated.

9 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with trip planning- October

Hi, so did you mean horseback riding on Waipio Rim? That's fine, there's also the option to ride in the valley itself. Only one company offers the rim rides. There are a couple doing the valley tours. Any of the tour companies are fine. I have a preference for the valley ride with Na'alapa.

I wouldn't bother with a snorkel tour boat unless maybe there are particularly bad shoreline ocean conditions while you're here, which is unlikely, but I do like the sunset sails with Mauna Lani Sea Adventures and you'll be right there walking distance to the boat. They also do snorkel tours. I do really like the outrigger snorkel trips with Uncle Gary at the Mauna Lani. He is a local legend and it's a special trip.

For the manta trip, I'd go with Mauna Kea Mantas off the beach at Kauna'oa at the Mauna Kea beach hotel.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with trip planning- October

Thanks Shea. Any hidden gems you think are must see or must do's?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
688 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with trip planning- October

I second the valley ride with Na'alapa!

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with trip planning- October

I would read through the Top Questions on must sees. Lots of people have weighed in, including me, with comprehensive lists covering all sorts of various things.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with trip planning- October

Shea (or anybody) we depart the island on a 9:30 pm flight. We'll need to turn in our car so I guess we should get to the airport around 8 ish? We're debating to eat in Kohala for our last dinner or is there some place you might recommend near the airport? We'd like a relaxing a memorable place to enjoy our last night on the island but don't want a long drive to the airport afterwards.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with trip planning- October

Once again, the Top Questions are quite handy. There's one dedicated to what to do on the day of a red-eye flight. I recently took Shea's advice and spent a final afternoon at Hualalai (Four Seasons area). Lovely beaches and restaurants ~ perfect way to wrap up vacation. Quick drive from there to KOA.

~ Colleen

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with trip planning- October

Yep, the Four Seasons. It's ten minutes from the airport.

Northern...
Level Contributor
25 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with trip planning- October

Nothing like dinner at upscale and very romantic 'ULU at the Four Seasons at sunset! Short drive to KOA / Onizuka airport after.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with trip planning- October

Looks terrific! Thanks!

Reply to: Help with trip planning- October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted