We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Kea Resort honeymoon

Kirkwood, Missouri
1 post
Save Topic
Mauna Kea Resort honeymoon

Just curious why Mauna Kea resort doesn’t get much attention here on the forums. We booked our honeymoon there in May thinking it was one of the best places to stay on the island. We’d love to stay at 4 seasons, but not for 2x the money. I continually see Mauna Lani getting a lot of love, and not sure why Mauna Kea receives almost none. Should we consider switching?

Thanks!

Btw, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading thru various trip reports and think these forums are a great wealth of info!

5 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna Kea Resort honeymoon

No need, nice beach there. Not a lot of places to eat around there, but with car you have lots of choice within 15 minutes. Maybe Mauna Kea people are not TA people, lol.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna Kea Resort honeymoon

I've heard many good reports of Mauna Kea Resort, but it's true that it's mentioned here less often than is Mauna Lani. I think the primary reason is because ML is more accessible to more people, given its array of complexes and pricing. ML is also more convenient to a grocery, shops, and restaurants, although as Honu said, a short drive (and short drives are the norm while on the Kohala Coast) will bring you to those same amenities. I'm sure you'll have a lovely time at Mauna Kea!

~ Colleen

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna Kea Resort honeymoon

I’ve stayed several times at both hotels as well as all of the other Kohala hotels, and my general view is that while the Mauna Kea is on one of the best beaches in Hawaii, but for the price, it just does not offer a good value, IMO. The rooms are not significantly better than the Mauna Lani, the pool is small and poorly located, the spa is mediocre, restaurants are expensive and meh, service is a little stiff, and it just doesn’t feel very Hawaiiana. Also you have to leave the resort to eat anywhere else or do anything else. The Mauna Lani has a cultural center, cultural advisors, ancient fishponds, cultural events, miles of walking paths, renovated pool and hot tubs, much better snorkeling, lots of dining options in all price ranges, and friendlier service and vibe.

Edited: 16 January 2018, 22:40
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,854 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauna Kea Resort honeymoon

Some but not all Mauna Kea staff tend to be snobbish and even judgmental. If you are rich and old money they will faun over you. If not they will be polite and smile but are formal than at Mauna Lani or the Four Seasons.

Also the pool is ridiculous.

If you like being around elitists then you will enjoy it there, but if you are just regular folks, you might get tired of showing you’re good enough for them.

Tacoma, WA
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauna Kea Resort honeymoon

My husband and I stayed at Mauna Kea for our 10th anniversary in 2015 and it was HEAVEN. So quiet, understated and elegant. If you are looking for a low-key honeymoon on the island's best beach, you will be well served.

Reply to: Mauna Kea Resort honeymoon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted