We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking on the Big Island

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking on the Big Island

Any suggestions an good hiking destinations on the Big Island?

I am looking for something that would only take a half of a day. Maybe two or three hours. Something we can do on our own, no guided tours. Any good websites you could direct me to?

Thanks

KapohoKine Adventures
Gift & Speciality Shops, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Big Island Duck Adventures
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Duck Tours, Boat Tours
My Kona Adventures
Scuba & Snorkeling, Swim with Dolphins, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Mauka Makai Adventures
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hiking on the Big Island

As mentioned above, Pololu is a nice hike; 400 foot elevation change in (4 I think) switchbacks.

Kiholo Lagoon to snorkel, see turtles. MM 81, step over the guardrail, look for the trail to "beach access" and then go north along the water. Maybe 30 minutes from the highway to lagoon.

Road by Upolu Airport to Kamehameha Birthplace and Mookini Heiua. (These are special places to be respectful of.) Park at the little airport lot and walk 45 minutes to Birthplace. Road looks boring as it passes the airport but dips to sea and spectacular sea cliff views of Maui. Despite its benign early appearance, road has severe ruts and BIG mud puddle--would not drive it in rental and besides you asked for foot destinations. :-) At "Big Scarey" the giant puddle look for the bypass up thru the shrubbery on the ocean side.

12. Re: Hiking on the Big Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 23:16