We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swap Meets on the Big Island?

Phoenix
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Swap Meets on the Big Island?

I am heading out to the Big Island on the 20th of this month. I have been to the swap meet at the stadium in Oahu and made out like a champ. Anything similar on the BI ? I was looking for a place to get inexpensive souvenirs to take home ( t-shirts, plumeria cuttings, Kukui nut Lei's etc) . If not, can you suggest places?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,468 posts
125 reviews
1. Re: Swap Meets on the Big Island?

no.... there are more people in the Oahu stadium that are on this whole island............

Suggest anyof the farmers markets :Hilo being the best ;Kona; Waimea, Keauhou then there is Wal-mart

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Swap Meets on the Big Island?

There is nothing like the one at Aloha Stadium here but I think you will like the Hilo Farmers Market (Wednesdays and Saturdays) that has lots of crafts vendors too. The Makuu Market on Sundays between Keaau and Pahoa is more like a swap meet.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
3. Re: Swap Meets on the Big Island?

Does the wal-mart in Hawaii carry "local" stuff? Just want to make sure they dont have the same old stuff i can buy on the mainland.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,019 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Swap Meets on the Big Island?

Hi, yes, Walmart has lots stuff for locals (in the way of inexpensive aloha shirts for example) and also the souvenirs.

Second the Farmer's Market, and agree with TT that the Maku'u Market is much more like a swap meet ... Sundays, between Kea'au and Pahoa. In other words, in Hilo market you find crafts vendors and flower vendors who are in business full time. At Maku'u you find more laid back people who are actually selling secondhand items, in addition to the craftspeople and produce sellers. Basically a hippy alternative market as opposed to local/Filipino/Hawaiian/Asian vendors. Both are great fun.

Hilo is best for fantastic produce. I think Maku'u has more clothing and crafts, including some pottery and stained glass. Hilo is best for cut flowers. Maku'u is a good place to find cuttings, I would think, as they also cater to local gardeners and sell live plants -- Hilo's live plants are mostly orchids.

Also pick up a copy of Hawai'i Island Journal, check the calendar and look at posters in store windows, to see if there is a special event like a community fundraiser or benefit. Those are great for finding items you won't see at Walmart, plus you will get more feel for local life if that interests you.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
5. Re: Swap Meets on the Big Island?

Sounds like the Makuu market and Wally World for me then.

Thanks for the replies.

6. Re: Swap Meets on the Big Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 11:17