We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain?

Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rain?

Just checked the weather for my upcoming trip to the Big Island and the forecast shows rain for the following 7 days! Mauna Kea Lady or anyone else....is it really true? We are supposed to stay at the Hapuna Beach.

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain?

CarolfromCA - it's been just Gorgeous weather here lately...I haven't seen the weather reports, but rain here would be highly unusual at this time of year - - beyond a freak sprinkle. there are so many eco zones on the island, it could rain in Hilo or Kona and stay completely sunny and dry on on the S Kohala Coast (where the Hapuna is). this area is actually considered desert. sorry I don't have any factual data for you, but you might check your weather forecast source to find out exactly where on the Big Island they are expecting rain. have a wonderful trip, no worries, no rain.

Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain?

Thank you for the weather report Mauna Kea Lady. I checked SEVERAL web sites, and in particular the area of the island where we are staying, and all have very gloomy forecasts. I am glad to hear they are wrong. We will be leaving for the Big Island on Monday! Mahalo!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain?

Carol, when we were on the Big Island in April, we really noticed those microclimates MKL mentioned. We were staying at a B&B ranch near Kona, but up at a 1,300-foot elevation or so. It was sometimes sunny on the coast and cloudy upland, where we were. Or, it was cloudy in all of Kona but sunny in Kohala. After three or four days of afternoon clouds, we got ticked. We wanted to see a Big Island sunset, darnit! So we headed north to Kohala. You could see an actual dividing line where the clouds ended and the sun began. We shouted to each other, "5 seconds to sun," and then we were enjoying the sun again, the ominous cloudcover at our backs. We sat on Mauna Kea beach, $10 mai tais (ouch) in hand, and finally enjoyed that Big Island sunset. It was worth the 45-minute drive.

Bottom line: If you have clouds in one place, you can drive a little ways and have sunshine somewhere else. And as MKL said, you're staying in the sunniest spot on the island. Don't worry, be happy!

Portland, OR, USA
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain?

You shouldn't have much problem with rain on that part of the island (due to the previously mentioned micro climates). I am suprised at that forecast. Barring a huge storm that effects ALL the islands, this is very uncommon. And if there was a huge storm coming, MKL or HD probably would have heard about it. . .

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,443 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain?

Aloha...........

The weather on the kOHALA coast is just hunkey-dory......light puffy clouds, temp 83, light breeze, low humidity. Today dawned at 6 am at 72 F.......and right now is blamy.

The rain has been confined to the higher elevations above 3000 ft and in the KONA, AREA . it dumped last friday night about 4.5 inches on my Hale Hawaiidan pool..... but 3 blocks away it was a drizzle. Rain comes at night with some exceptions.....we has a 30 min thunder storm 2 daus ago at noon.

You can expect rain in the coffee country and on the entire eastern side of the Island from Hawi to Hilo, but that is normal for that side.....140 to 220 inches a year. And while it does not rain every day you can see the odds are not in favor of dry sky...... The waterfalls and ' rain forest....should tell you where it rains.

At the Hapuna Prince you will be dry and forget the umbrella..bring lots of sun tan lotion.......The Kohala coast, As the great lady of Mauna kea knows...was developed for its great beaches, warm sunny weather and over 350 sunny days a year...... Thats why we cal it the platnum coast ( gold would never do)

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain?

HawaiianDan, you get up early.

CarolfromCA, I can confirm HD's weather update today - lovely morning here on the S Kohala Coast...blue skies, light tradewinds, soft warm air. I can see puffy white lateral clouds mauka (upcountry), which is normal. the coast is clear all the way south to Kona, where I can see tall puffy clouds. not a cloud to the west up & down the S Kohala Coast - wait a minute, I see 1 little white cloud that looks exactly like a cottonball. it's the cutest cloud you've ever seen, no rain in that baby.

I'll keep you posted on the weather over the next couple of days. but everyone here is fairly skeptical of weather forecasts on the Big Island, they are notoriously incorrect or overly vague.

pack for warm dry weather, bring 1 light windbreaker and 1 long sleeved cotton cartigan.

folsom
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain?

Carol,

I dont't think you will have any problems with weather at Hapuna, in the many times we have been to the Kohala Coast we have had very little if any rain. I am really interested in hearing how you like the Hapuna. We seriously looked at staying at the Hapuna but ended up booking the Fairmont Orchid instead, we will be there about the same time, June 2-9th.

Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain?

Thanks to all of you for the weather updates. I usually check the weather before I go and it usually looks good....but this time for some reason it did not (in the forecasts). We were on the Big Island in February and last September and both times stayed at the Fairmont Orchid. We are trying the Hapuna Beach this time. They have a really great deal for the 40th anniversary of their sister resort, the Mauna Kea. We got the room for $216/night plus tax, including daily breakfast. Flying over on United with frequent flyer miles (first class). Hopefully they will not strike while we are there...news says they are having something heard before a judge on May 31, which could cause workers to strike. So, there is that possibility of getting stranded in Hawaii....not necessarily a bad thing. LOL! Looking forward to sunny weather!

folsom
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain?

Carol,

What are your thoughts on the Fairmont Orchid? Any tips on which building is the best as far as room views? Any food suggestions there at the resort? Where the rooms nice? I have read reviews that said the rooms were in poor shape and needed attention?

Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain?

We liked the Orchid. I posted a trip report on Trip Advisor back in February. Many of the "user photos" posted to this site are mine.

We had no problems with the room. They are in the process of renovating all the rooms. On our last trip (February) we got one of the newly redecorated rooms but we thought the old decor was fine too. The style before was more "Ritz" feeling. Now it looks more "Tommy Bahama". We thought the rooms in general were in good shape and the housekeeping staff was very attentive. As far as location goes, the hotel is shaped like a U, so most of the rooms face inward to the grounds or outward to the sides of the resort. There are very few ocean front rooms. The rooms that they say have ocean views do not really have great ocean views since they are angled. You can see the ocean from your balcony. We preferred being in the south tower because it was much closer to the beach, and we are beach lovers. We had an outward facing room last time so we overlooked some homes next door and could see the ocean....we were on the floor. See the photos posted for our room/view pictures. We thought the beach there was nice and there was great snorkeling off shore. We have been to the Big Island many times. We used to stay at the Mauna Lani all the time. Now it's boiled down to wherever we can get a good deal because in my opinion most of the resorts are very nice. I would not hesitate to stay at the Orchid again, or the Mauna Lani. We are trying the Hapuna because the deal was so good. If you are staying at the Orchid, ask for Elton on the beach. He is a beach attendant and a really great guy! We'll report back on the Hapuna to this forum when we get back.